Control Sonarworks Systemwide with BOME MIDI Translator

Hi!

I have used BMT to control programs with a USB-keyboard and it has worked fine until I got a new computer. Now I can’t make Sonarworks reakt to MIDI-commands via BMT anymore. It will react if I use my USB-keyboard without BMT but I need BMT because I want to control other programs at the same time, that’s why I use BMT.

These are my settings:

Hi, and welcome to the Bome Forum!

Check to see that Sonarworks is NOT looking directly to your MIDI keyboard when using BMT. Windows only allows one application to open a given device at a time.

In your project file you will need input to be your MIDI keyboard and output to be BMT 1.
In Sonarworks, you will need the input to be BMT 1. Again, do not select your MIDI keyboard directly in Sonarworks. From your screenshot it is hard to tell if you have selected the correct MIDI input device for your keyboard. I can look deeper if I see the project file itself.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Sonarworks isn’t that hi-tech so that it’s possible to see what MIDI devices it’s listening to but I think it listens to all available MIDI devices. The controller is used by BMT and virtual device “BMT 2” is taken by Reaper (and that communication works well). Only device left is virtual “BMT 1” but Sonarworks doesn’t hear it for some reason. I can’t think of anything else using BMT 2 either. It’s wierd that the exact same set of programs worked on my old computer.

Attaching my project file:
MIDI Translator - Monitor Controller.bmtp (18.2 KB)

Well I see a couple of possible ways to resolve.

1. Open MT Pro before opening Sonarworks, then Sonarworks should not be able to open your microKey25 since Bome MIDI Translator Owns it. Hopefully it will try to open Bome MIDI Translator 1 instead and then your project file might work.

2. I see you are translating note-on messages from your keyboard to note-off messages to Sonarworks. This is highly unusually, you might want to change the outgoing actions to note-on instead.

Let me know if either or both of these solutions work for you.

BTW you should also open MT Pro before Reaper.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Solved: I don’t know why it works now but it does. I got some ideas from your suggestions. I tried to see which MIDI devices Sonarworks listened to by opening it’s MIDI assignment feature before Reaper and then trying to open BMT 1 and BMT 2 in Reaper to see if they where reserved by something else. Sonarworks seemed to have reserved both of them. Then I set everything up as usual again and it just worked! It’s wierd but I’m very happy :slight_smile: Thanks for the help!!

Glad you got it working!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care