Controlling Allen & Heath QU mixer by Midi Solutions F8 and BomeBox

I need the mapping to trigger an Allen & Heath QU console Mix mute function by configuring Midi solutions F8 with Bomebox
so,
Do I need Midi Translator Pro or not?
and
How can programme both devices F8 and BomeBox

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

In looking at the QU protocol manual, NRPN messages are required to turn on/off different mixes.

Looking at the MIDI Solutions F8 manual, it looks like it will not send NRPN.

This means that you will need something to translate what MIDI the F8 sends to a NRPN message so you would need Bome MIDI Translator Pro (MT Pro) in addition to the BomeBox.

Even if the QU accepted a supported F8 message, all messages from the F8 would get passed through to the QU and it they would likely mess up what you want the QU expects so you would still require MT Pro to block any unwanted messages from the F8.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thanks for your response
I already have the BomeBox.
so,
I will buy the Bome MIDI Translator Pro license. If I face any issues, I will ask for help again.
Thanks

Sounds good!

1 Like

Actually an NRPN is just a combination of up to four specific CC numbers and it looks like the F8 can send up to 8 with one one pedal press, so it would probably work, however if you want to block other messages, you would still need Bome MIDI Translator Pro.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you again for your valuable support, especially since I have no background in MIDI protocol.
I want to let you know that the system will only contain three devices - the F8, BomeBox, and A&H QU mixer.
This system will be part of one of our company installation projects, so I need the most reliable and stable solution, even if it means purchasing a license.
Please advise me on which route I should take.

Well, I’ve always been a proponent of keeping thins as simple as possible so I would recommend that you start without using Bome MIDI Translator Pro.

Looking at the QU Protocol, there doesn’t seem to be any function called ‘Mute Mix’ so I think you just need to enable or disable whichever Mix you want to turn on and off.

I have no experience with the F8, however so if we hit a wall with what it can do, you can leave your options open to perhaps purchase Bome MIDI Translator Pro later.

The BomeBox would just need a simple MIDI route from your F8 to the network attached QU mixer. Then you would program your F8 to send the proper MIDI messages for each pedal.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care