DaVinci Resolve Color

I bought the Korg Nanokontrol2 and hope to map it with Bome Midi Translator with the Color tab. For $300 you can buy a Tangent Ripple or MideGrade 3 Fighter Twister but the NanoKontrol is cheaper along with the Nanokontrol Studio. Can the Nanokontrol2 be used with Color in Resolve? I know people have mapped it for Lightroom. Will Resolve recognize it as a Mackie controller? Any information would be great.

If you set up the NanoKontrol2 in Mackie Mode, then yes Davinci Resolve will see it as a Mackie Controller.  

If you want to use the knobs or sliders for color adjustment, then it is possible as well, however the knobs and sliders will send absolute values and it is generally more easy to use relative values to convert to keystrokes for Davinci Resolve keyboard shortcuts (so you don't hit the end).  But it can be done by first converting absolute to relative, then using keystrokes, and then set a recalibrate function for if you run out of room. I is not as pretty but it can be done.

See the below tutorial on absolute to relative cc conversion.

https://youtu.be/VCvxPZawJyE

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve. I will check the tutorial so see if I can get it. You think it’s good to try to use a NanoKontrol2 or just cough up the money for a Tangent Ripple
or the MidiGrade? And of those two – do you think the MideGrade with the 16 x 4 = 64 knobs is better than the trackballs on the Tangent? Just trying to save money and like a little bit of a challenge but don’t want to waste days and days on it.

But Steve. In the video you sent me you gloss over the "given input and output ports". This might be critical to know how to set up for someone who doesn't know anything. Input is the Korg or Mackie device? What about output? Resolve? Korg?

Will probably have to watch the video 20x to understand it.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with either Tangent Ripple or MIDI Grade so not sure. For me, if you want 8 knobs and 2 layers, I'd go with a Behringer X-touch MINI and set up all of it's encoders for relative. I think you can get one used on eBay for about 70-80 USD. It also has a Mackie Mode if you need it but not at the same time you use the Layers. If you have to have 16 knobs and want 4 layers (total of 64 knobs), I would look into a MIDI Fighter Twister. I think these are around $200 USD. I'll have to research on the other controllers you mentioned.

As far as inputs and output, I usually use aliases that points to the actual physical ports. This is probably what you are seeing. I usually give the aliases very generic names like "My Controller" and "My App".

There are roughly 40 Bome MIDI Translator tutorials at about 5 minutes each. I recommend if you want to catch up on all the subjects, you start at the beginning as we tried to build on prior knowledge from earlier tutorials on the later once without laboring on the details on the earlier ones.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Okay thanks Steve. I'll check out all the tutorials on your YouTube channel.

Don't forget, the Arturia Beatstep is another good option with 17 assignable encoders, 16 velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads easy to use and program with Bome.

David

Were you able to get Nanokontrol2 to work with Davinci Resolve’s Color tab? @stevec mentioned Mackie Mode. To my knowledge, Mackie Mode is only used in Fairlight tab.