Dialog midi din help

Hi,
I got a new bomebox, uploaded the .bmtp, selected the midi routes but the proj doesn’t work 100%, so I need yours help…
I explane the problem:
I use a platform m+ and an electra one to control octratrack
in my pc setup, I use midi din of electra one to dialog with octatrack.
in my bomebox setup I use bomebox midi din to octatrack.
When in bomebox setup
E1 dial with octratrack and viceversa,
M+ dialog with E1 and viceversa,
M+ and octatrack doesn’t dialog.
In bomebox routing I assigned E1 to midi din and viceversa,
I tried a lot of combinations but i’ve not resolved it.
Can someone help me? (probably Steve :wink: )

Hi,
Welcome back. Could I have a look at your project file? Usually you want to use aliases for your devices and then re-assign them as you move your project from computer to BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,
in my proj I don’t use aliases, is that the cause?
I’m thinking if I must create another proj specifically for the bomebox setup, but it’s a bad way.
Now I try to assign aliases in the proj …

Yes, with aliases, your project will much more portable.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I try to use aliases, but the result is the same: with midi din connected to Electra one it’s work
with midi din connected to bomebox doesn’t work 100%.

This is my project initially (without aliases)
Platform 1.4 MCU.bmtp (78.6 KB)

Well one of the problems are your translators are sending from everything to everything. Look a Preset 1 and Preset 2 where you are using project default ports for both input and output. I suggest you look at this tutorial about port selection and also fix that, then try again.

I assume preset number one would need to look like this. (But assigned different aliases)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I don’t understand,
I thought that to use more setting about the ports (preset and translator) it would have been worse.
I use default ports (INPUT:electra 1 and platform OUTPUT:electra 1 and Platform). Is this the problem? I have to change input and output midi setting in every preset?

Here I used the aliases, but same in out configuration
Platform 1.5 MCU.bmtp (78.4 KB)

You want your MIDI messages to go from E1 to Octatrack right, but not E1 back to E1. Also from Platform M to Octatrack but not back to Platform M (maybe).
Having everything go to everything is generally a bad idea. You get a lot of extra spurious messages that can hose things up. That is why you want to organize your presets by routes (in most cases). There are a lot less presets than translators so it is usually manageable to do it that way.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I want use platform and E1 to command octatrack and receive by octatrack feedback to E1 and platform.
In my set I use only 2 port: E1 and platform, and they work fine with bomebox.
I try to change preset midi port as you say. Thanks

Only a question: making so (assign midi port in the preset conf) then I have to route pllatform and E1 to Bomebox din bidirectionally?

Ok, I tried with preset midi in and out, but the result is the same, with the midi cables insert in midi din of E1 it works, with midi cables in midi din of bomebox it doesn’t work.
I understand your consideration about the virtual port but in this case (I use same controller) I don’t understand the difference.
I don’t know where is the bug…I use E1 as midi hub (midi out) to connect platform to octatrack, so if I use bomebox as midi hub and I route E1 to Bomebox, why this is not sufficent? :upside_down_face:
Thanks for the patience

Hi, just make sure that your translators (or presets) are set to go only to the ports you want them to go to. I didn’t look at your entire project file because I was unclear looking at it which each of the presets was for except for the ones that said E1. From what I understand is you want:

E1 to go to Octatrack
Platform M to go to Octatrack

I wasn’t sure on the interaction you wanted between E1 and Platform M or Maybe Platform M back to itself to control LED lights or faders.

What I say was at the project level you had assigned input and output from everything and no other specific assignments at either the preset or translator level, which essentially means every translator will process inputs from all devices and send them out to all devices.

I can assure you that if you properly define the specific paths of the translators, things will work correctly. (Assuming of course that the translators are also written correctly).

Unfortunately for free support I cannot completely debug your project, however if you can clean it up and narrow an issue down to one or two things, I would be able to help you straighten them out.

Now I’m assuming also you are running the project file on BomeBox and your BomeBox will route things as you have in the project file. If this is not the case and are running your project on a computer and sending to BomeBox, then additional routing on BomeBox would be necessary or you could use Remote Direct MIDI on Bome Network to get things to the ports that you want.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve,
Sorry but my english is basic, if i understood correctly, I try to explain my project basicly :grinning:
(First of all I want use my proj in bomebox, without pc)
I send and receive midi between octactrak and E1 using midi cable IN and OUT, then I added platform and connect it (initially to pc, now to bomebox), using bome to translate pitch bend of fader to cc volume and other small function (play, stop, change page, dump from octatrack).
Now with midi cables from bomebox to octatrack works only E1, if I connect midi cables to E1 the proj works correctly.
However I try to understand the issue, and learn more about, bome gave me a lot of satisfaction.
Thanks

OK,
Here is what I did to your project. I’m not sure everything is correct as I don’t know what signals you want to send to what device.

First, I removed everything that was directed to a physical port and set it up to go to the alias instead. Then I assigned aliases as follows. You will need to assign the aliases to the actual device names you use. The physical devices may be named differently on your PC and your BomeBox, however. The aliases should be assigned to the physical devices as named on your BomeBox.

If you make adjustments to your translator or preset assignments ALWAYS use the aliases and NEVER use the physical port names.

As I said, it is possible you need to make different assignments.

What I would recommend you do is.

Set your presets by routing, then put all translators for that given routing within that preset so that you do not need to assign at the translator level

Platform to Electa1
Electra1 to Platform
Platform to Octatrack
Electra1 to Octatrack
Platform to Platform (If LED Feedback is needed)
Electra1 o Electra1 (Again for LED feedback is needed.

Move your translators into the right preset above based on routing. You should not assign routing at the translator level as it will inherit the routing from the parent preset.

Attached is the updated project file with the best I could do based on limited knowledge of your desired routing assignments.

Platform 1.5 MCU-sjc.bmtp (78.4 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve
You are great.
Your modifies to the proj are been enlighten!
You were right, i had to use virtual port, the ‘bug’ was my use of E1 as hub, so my proj didn’t have octatrack virtual port because i used E1 as port to communicate with octatrack.
Thanks a lot Steve,
you are part of the bome’s power for me.
:+1:

• List item

I’m glad to help get you onto the right path! I know the project was probably not perfect but hopefully a step in the right direction.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care