Divide incoming midi clock by 0.66666666

is it possible to use MT pro to take an incoming midi clock and divide it by 0.66666666, basically I have a clock coming from an SPDSX pro running at 127.5 and I am trying to make it output an 85BPM clock to run a Boss slicer pedal

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Typically a clock source will have a MIDI-IN setting (usually a CC# ) that can control the clock speed. That would by far be the easiest way if possible.

Performing complex clock calculations and generation is quite difficult with Bome MIDI Translator pro primarily for 2 reasons.

1- MT Pro variables are all integer so getting floating point precision is not possible. The final result will always be a signed integer.
2- MT Pro’s timing resolution is at the millisecond interval and many BPM rates require microsecond resolution.

If you were to attempt to change clock speed with MT Pro you would need to:

Change the number of clocks going out per second, by either ignoring the incoming clock or doing complex calculations, delays etc for outgoing clock signals to attempt to set the BPM. Even with that MT precision will be at a millisecond precision.

If your controller cannot be adjusted directly (either by MIDI or by mouse or keystroke movement), then a different clock source would be recommended.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve
Thanks so much for getting back to me, I did mess around with it further and tried your clock program here on the forum and indeed the limtation of whole numbers from the timer is insufficient resolution to get an accurate enough subdivision doesn’t really work, I did consider doubling the incoming clock to 255 so I could pick off every third clock etc but the timer resolution would still deem it inaccurrate, I have found a work around using a Midronome for this particular song and sending the correct tempo via CC triggered from the program change from the SPD and switching the inputs so the clock to the slicer comes from the midronome then using note on from one of the pads to send the start command to the slicer, of course the midronome clock is not locked to the SPD but it does work most of the time. are you aware of any device that does have an accurate enough timer to allow all sorts of clock dividers and multipliers as this is something I come across a lot with this band. I have to say that the combination of MT pro and the bome box is an extremely powerful aid to setting up their lie show with all the midi and program changes switching and configuring a myriad of scenarios. keep up the good work.

If I remember I was able to achieve the accuracy I wanted using MIDIhub as a clock source and I was able to use a CC to control the BPM. Of course their are also other devices and software that might be able to do this.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz