Edit bmtp files with an external editor

Ich würde gerne die .bmtp Dateien in einem externen Editor bearbeiten. Leider scheint das nicht so einfach zu funktionieren. Mache ich etwas falsch, oder geht das überhaupt nicht?

I would like to edit the .bmtp files in an external editor. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work that easily. Am I doing something wrong, or is this not possible at all?

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Editing a project file with an external text editor is not recommended as the format of the file is very particular. Indeed it is a text file, however certain sections require a specific format such as rules, which do not include carriage returns. I’ve done some simple global search and replace on occasion (if the search length and the replace length are the same).

If you do decide to edit with a text editor, make sure you do it with a copy of the project file so that if there is a problem, you can always go back to the original file to recover.

Also the project file signature will no longer be valid after editing with a text editor so to apply a new signature, you will need to open the project in MT Pro and then resave the project file so the signature can be re-applied. Unsigned files will not properly work on BomeBox at all.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thank you for your quick and detailed answer.

I was afraid that wouldn’t work. But maybe you’ll pick up the idea of a BOME internal editor as a feature for an upcoming release.

Kind regards - Markus van Hall

Danke für eure schnelle und ausführliche Antwort.

Ich habe schon befürchtet, dass das nicht funktioniert. Aber vielleicht nehmt ihr ja die Idee eines BOME internen Editors als Feature für ein kommendes Release auf.

Freundliche Grüße - Markus van Hall

Yes a more friendly editable format is planned but unfortunately I cannot provide a time line. If there are improvements to the existing GUI, we would entertain in working on this as well. We have made some improvements from time-to-time.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thanks once again for the quick reply.
Then I’m excited to see what will be possible in the future. :smiley:

Danke noch einmal für die schnelle Antwort.
Dann bin ich gespannt, was in der Zukunft alles möglich sein wird. :smiley: