Emulate rotary encoder with Qwerty keys

Hello everybody! I’m new here, I have little experience with MIDI parameters. I’m considering purchasing Translator Pro but I still haven’t been able to make a simple function work which made me interested in acquiring the Bome Translator Pro license.

I have a Macro Pad Keyboard (Qwerty programable) with 4 rotary encoders and I would like to assign these encoders the function of decreasing and increasing values, emulating a rotary common CC controller. I use Magix Samplitude and it is very versatile in assigning any midi value to control parameters in plugins and in your DAW software.

I tried assigning function keys to generate CC16 but I only get increase values.

I also tried RPN Decrement and RPN Increment without success.

The values is recepted via midi in DAW with virtual driver instaled, but only increment values is set. I need descrements too with MTP.

Is there a simple way to assign Qwerty function keys to decrement and increment simulating a midi controller rotary CC control using Bome Translator Pro?

Can you help me?

Very Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Yes, this should be possible. Note that the original keystrokes will not be suppressed so be sure you pick keystrokes that currently don’t do anything.

In the below example I use Ctrl-F11 for up and Ctrl-F12 for down.
If the first preset is enabled, it will output a value of 1 (turn right) and 127 (turn left) respectively.

There are usually 3 types of relative CC types

• 1 Right 127 left (as describe above)
  • 65 right and 63 left
  • 1 Right and 65 left

Now if you want an absolute encoder (0-127) then turn on the second preset only. I use the global variable ‘ga’ to track the value of the output and then use rules to increment or decrement the value.

It is important to only enable 1 preset as each is a demo using the same keys so that if both are enabled, then you will get strange results.

In the project file, I select Bome MIDI Translator 1 port for output and nothing for MIDI (since it is being done by a keystroke)

Key-to-CC.bmtp (1.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Hi Steve!

I am very grateful for your help! Option 1 right and 65 left worked perfectly. I will soon be purchasing the full version, Bome will help me a lot here using it with my macro pad.

God bless you!

Thanks!

1 Like