Extend/Repeat Output Note - Boss ES8 to DMX Controller

Hi,

I'm using a Boss ES8 switcher to make DMX scene changes via individual CC messages. The DMX controller only accepts MIDI notes, which is why I've bought the Bome Box to go in-between and make the translation.

It's set up and working, but occasionally, with quick button presses on the ES8, the DMX controller doesn’t pick up the message. Is there any way to stabilise/hold the CC in message from the ES8, or maintain the note output to the DMX for say 1 second, or repeat it to ensure the scene change?

Thanks

I think I’ve found a way to do it by dupicating each entry and adding a delay to the output of the second translator. Is this the best way to go about it?

Hi,

The below will work if your DMX is missing the note off message. I put a 1000ms (1 second delay) on note-off only. You can adjust the delay by changing the value of pp in the rules. (The first translator)

However I suspect that maybe the issue might be with your controller not sending the original note on message or. maybe your button does not send value of 127 if you tap it lightly. If so this will not work and will need to be adjusted so that any value greater than 0 sends a value of 127. (The second translator)

If neither of these work, you should probably turn logging on and try to capture when it misses. Test it using MT Pro and once it is working, you can upload it to BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Attachments:
1600111901124_CC-to-note-hold-2020-09-14.bmtp

Perhaps or try my examples. It really depends on what is really happening with the MIDI message your controller is sending.

Thanks Steve.

I haven't used variable values, or note off messages.  I just selected CC# 127 to MIDI note# 127, thinking that would be the most stable.  I'll give your suggestions a try.

Please find attached my project file so you can see what I've done so far. 

Attachments:
1600112700061_ES8-DMX.bmtp

Hi, I noticed you have the inputs and outputs set at the translator level. This might cause lots of re-work in the future if things move around.  As a general rule, I try to handle the majority of input/output routing at the preset level and use translator input/output definitions as an exception.

See this tutorial.

https://youtu.be/KunN2A1rKMY

Again, not sure whether you are missing the button, whether the MIDI message doesn't reliably send or whether the DMX device doesn't reliably receive.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz