faderfox FT3 relative cc into -1/+1 values on Nord Drum 2 without jumps when changing a preset

Hello.
The Nord Drum 2 module has a wide midi chat with around 40 midi CC messages for each of the 6 channels/sounds and only 1 ecoder to control all available sound design parameters on board. To simplify my sound design workflow, I purchased a set of retro Faderfox controllers with Rotary Encoders (FT3 & DJ3).

After reading all the topics similar to my question on this forum, I created a project in MT Pro with a translator for each encoder of my controller to the desired absolute midi CC for Nord Drum 2 using the code as a rule:

if pp>64 then rr=pp-128
if pp>64 then ga=ga+rr
if pp<=64 then ga=pp+ga
if ga<0 then ga=0
if ga>127 then ga=127

with different input “set variable to value” and output “controller value” for each translator (not the same “pp” and “ga” for each )

Using this method, I was not able to imitate the functionality of the on-board encoder of nord drum 2 on faderfox encoders :frowning: Because:

• encoder on ND 2, when rotated in one click, adds the selected parameter by +1 or -1 to the value that is stored in the preset.
  • Faderfox encoder should scroll 3 clicks in the corresponding direction to add +1 or -1 to assigned parameter on ND 2. And when you change the preset on ND 2, there is a jump due to the fact that at the exit from MT Pro we already have absolute midi CC after translator!

Perhaps I need to change the code of the rule on all translators or maybe do some other trick to force each of the encoders from the controller, without jumping when changing the preset on the drum module, just change the assigned functions by +1 turning right and -1 turning left by 1 click like this can do onboard encoder?

thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Try these rules:

if pp>64 then rr=pp-64
if pp>64 then ga=ga+rr
if pp<64 then rr=64-pp
if pp<64 then ga=ga-rr
if ga<0 then ga=0
if ga>127 then ga=127

I’ve not seen a Nord device that recognizes relative encoders. This routine will convert them to absolute.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Oh thx i will try it . I think that if the on-board encoder on nord drum 2 can do this, then your software, which I have recently loved, can also. I really really like to work with this software and it is fast and it would be cool if everything worked in cases with nord drum 2! I would like to buy a box later so as not to pine with a laptop for live events. And sorry for my bad english :call_me_hand:

[image]

I tried your code it switches only 3 points of 50 on nord drum 2 ‘0’ max to the left side turn and ‘25’ next click to the right side and last from the right side is ‘50’ but every click of my controller does some action and it solved the problem by a quarter! I can use this code for further ideas with mapping for example to assign a 3-digit switch to a rotary encoder but not for message like midi CC-007-VOLUME for example. In Nord Drum 2, each parameter is divided into 50 points (0-50) except for some type switches, for example distortion - it has only 3 positions. Thank you.

Yes, this is similar to the behavior as my Nord Stage 2 EX. If there are two parameters, it only switches back and forth at crossover of 64. So with the way it is written, you might have to turn the knob quiet a bit to get the desired result. If you don’t like this, you can change the rules, so that turn right or left increases or decreases a larger value than 1.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Sorry, but I didn’t see anything in your last reply other than ‘there’s nothing more we can do’

I didn’t say that. I was simply stating the in general Nord uses absolute values. In some cases it only looks at 2 or 3 values within the range of 0-127.

For instance, on my Nord Stage 2 EX, Leslie fast/slow will always be fast with value > 64 and slow with value < 64 so the knob will only switch speeds around the center position.

Could you state exactly the issue you are having with which parameter (CC)?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care