Fairly simple(?) MTP task ... I think?

I suspect what I’m trying to do is fairly trivial, but I’m no programmer, so digging into MTP is a little overwhelming. Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction to get started here.

My setup is fairly basic. I have a few controllers (Polyend Tracker, Novation LPP Mk3, Korg SQ-64) and a handful of synths. I want to make the Tracker be the master clock, so when it sends clock and start/stop messages, those should go to everything, including the other controllers. Everything is connected via USB to a powered hub.

Everything else it sends (note, CC data, etc.), as well as everything sent by the other controllers, should go to the synths only, and not the other controllers.

If I’m understanding things properly, my guess is that I need to have MIDi routing going from each controller to all the synths, but not to each other, and then also to add in something via MTP that routes clock, start, and stop messages from the Tracker to the LPP3 and the SQ64 to manage that piece of it.

Or, I suppose, an alternative would be to set up the Tracker to route to the other controllers, but just create a translator to ‘swallow’ any note data from the Tracker to the other controllers?

Not sure what the best way to navigate this is, so any guidance would be great. Thanks!

I’m checking the log window and I’m seeing some really weird behavior from my LPP. Currently just have one synth, Tracker, and LPP set up. Both controllers are routed to the synth, but NOT each other . When I hit play on the Tracker, I see the MIDI IN messages getting properly routed to the synth, and no OUT messages going to the LPP. However, there’s a MIDI IN message coming from the LPP duplicating the note data from the Tracker.

When I just play an individual note on the Tracker, here’s what happens:

1: MIDI IN [BomeBox: Tracker]: 92 3F 7F
2: MIDI OUT [BomeBox: MicroMonsta 2]: 92 3F 7F
3: MIDI IN [BomeBox: Launchpad Pro MK3 [1]]: 92 3F 7F
4: MIDI OUT [BomeBox: MicroMonsta 2]: 92 3F 7F
5: MIDI IN [BomeBox: Tracker]: 82 3F 00
6: MIDI OUT [BomeBox: MicroMonsta 2]: 82 3F 00
7: MIDI IN [BomeBox: Launchpad Pro MK3 [1]]: 82 3F 00
8: MIDI OUT [BomeBox: MicroMonsta 2]: 82 3F 00

How is the LPP sending a note when it isn’t being touched or showing that it’s receiving a note?

If I play a note on the LPP, here’s what I get, which aligns with what I’d expect:
1: MIDI IN [BomeBox: Launchpad Pro MK3 [1]]: 92 3C 7F
2: MIDI OUT [BomeBox: MicroMonsta 2]: 92 3C 7F
3: MIDI IN [BomeBox: Launchpad Pro MK3 [1]]: 82 3C 00
4: MIDI OUT [BomeBox: MicroMonsta 2]: 82 3C 00

Is the Tracker somehow passing data directly to the LPP via the USB hub?

Hi,

My personal preference is to do everything with translators except for SysEX (unless you want to do translations there too). I have been burnt too many times by just using MIDI thru paths. I forget about them and unwanted MIDI messages sneak through later on in the development process because I forgot about MIDI thru.

This is a good tutorial that should help you organize your presets for different routing options.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Hi, for figuring out what is wrong. I’d have to look at your project file. Perhaps one of your devices has a MIDI thru path internally, however. Some devices do this and you can turn it on or of in its settings.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz