Feature request : display real name of midi ports for USB connected devices

When I connect my IConnectivity MIOXL and MIOXM to Bomebox USB Host, I see their USB ports with different names than the ones I created for them.
ex : MIOXL 4 where I created the name LDIN4 for it inside MIOXL.
My Translator Pro in Windows sees this port as LDIN4 when MIOXL is connected to Windows computer, even Windows 10 sees it as LDIN 4.

Why can’t Bomebox read and use this name ? It would be far easier to manage.

Hi, I can appreciate the issue. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of

1)How the mioXL exposes it’s MIDI ports
2)How the host OS platform wants to name them.

We do have a product, however that you can create virtual MIDI ports and give them the names you like. It is a paid addon feature of Bome Network Pro, called "Unlimited Virtual Ports. In addition to creating your own ports, you can set up routing from your currently used ports through the virtual ports that you named. The original port names would still be seen by the host operating system but you could ignore them and use your own created names yourself instead.

In a nutshell, we have no control over the port names that a controller exposes and how Windows decided to name it.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

But I only ask to have the same name as in Windows, Midi Translator Pro already do it.

Ah, I misunderstood. It is the BomeBox that is adding a space. I will look into that. In the meantime you can create an alias in MT Pro with the name you want and then when loading the project file on BomeBox, assign the alias to the name BomeBox exposes.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi csurieux,
if I understand correctly, then the MIOXL allows renaming ports, and then Windows displays the ports with the new names?

Normally, the BomeBox does display the device names exactly as MIDI Translator Pro (MT Pro) does on Windows. And most devices have the same name on Windows and BomeBox (and macOS). However, the underlying USB subsystem is responsible for getting the name from the USB device, and apparently the Windows USB drivers does it in a different way than the drivers on the BomeBox (which is using Linux).

So, as Steve hinted, the approach we have been following is to look up the name on the BomeBox. Then, if different from the Windows name, create an alias in MT Pro using the name of the MIDI port as it appears on the BomeBox. Use that alias, and on Windows, assign it to the port as it appears on Windows.

We’ll look into this to find if we can somehow retrieve the renamed name from a device and use that instead of the physical device name.

Thanks for reporting!

Thank you for answer.
In windows 10, my Midi Translator Pro displays something as this

In this image the MIOXL and MIOXM are not connected by USB to the PC, but you can see that there are ports named LH2-MCycleOut, LH… MH9-PresetSelXM. I have not to input them, they were detected as this. MidiOx sees exactly these names when MIOXL and MIOXM are connected.
In the browser used by BomeBox, on same computer, when MIOXL and MIOXM are connected to BomeBox USB Host (through an USB Hub), BomeBox can’t see these names.
When I import my Midi Translator project in Bomebox, I have to map the ports seen as virtual ports in the project to their BomeBox equivalent names. It works but seems over complicated.
Is it due to the fact that MIOXL and MIOXM are naming differently the ports in linux and in Windows ? But for MacOs and Ios the names are the same as in Windows 10 ?

Until this is changed, you can set up alias names in MT Pro. Then when using on the BomeBox, just assign the alias name to the name of the port that BomeBox reports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Life is already complex :wink:

Yes, but workable. You can set up your project on the computer to point directly to the port.
When you load the project on BomeBox, it will not find the port so prompt you for the alias.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes @SteveC I have seen your point but I have other tools and doc with all these names far more explicit than ‘MIOXL 1 to 16’, so the mapping is not the larger update to do in my setup.
My request is simply a nice to have making life easier for users mixing IConnectivity and Bome.

Yep, I get it. Just making sure you know the workaround for now.

Steve

1 Like