FEATURE REQUEST: Step Through

Just the usual step feature so its easy to follow through a debug and maybe along with the column/line number it could have the usual click to highlight break points :slight_smile:

This might require a bit more explaining as you really have no way to slow down incoming MIDI traffic except if you just slow down movement of an incoming messages from your controller or application. Also many translators could take action on the same incoming message so you would need to know which translators you want to “step through”.

I typically use the following techniques.

1. If I want to focus on a given translator then I turn on incoming and outgoing in the log window a enter the translator number in question in the filter box (ie 1.3).
  2. I also may use the Log function of MT Pro and have a translator rule like
    Log “Log pp=%pp%”
    Then I can filter on Log and see all logging rules in the Log window. It also will
    show the preset and translator that issued the Log message

These are my most common way’s of focusing in a given area of my project file. Sometimes I also disable presets that I don’t care about while troubleshooting.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Sure…but thats the point of step in my experience.
It becomes non realtime (bome is in debug mode) and each movement of the trigger event down through the presets/translators will halt until the user says its ok to step to the next. Its one of the best debug tools in most IDEs…in mtp would really help.

I do a similar thing as you ie filtering known key tokens etc but this happens realtime and I guess it doesnt really compare to using step

Being able to step really does save so much time (breakpoints too :slight_smile:

Cheers

OK, your request is in, however in many cases MT Pro does things in parallel so I’m not sure how a serial sequence of events could be implemented with a break point on events that can happen in parallel.

Yep, I did think about that but you could simply choose the fork, then next iteration, choose the other fork?

I would not be sure of the implementation details as I don’t do the coding but I’m sure Florian will determine the best course of action.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like