FEATURE SUGGESTION: Line number column in rules

Im not sure if I have missed this in the manual to do this already…
So the log window produces very useful info for debug ie
1: RULE 6.1:5 condition satisfied: if gc!=1 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action

PresetNumber dot TranslatorNumber dot RuleExpression Line

It would be a great help if the rules could have a column on LHS like many editor or IDE where it displays the row/line number with a toggle to control the display

Additionally, being able to click the entry in the log window and jump to that position in the rule box would also be a great help :slight_smile:

Great idea! I’m not sure how difficult it would be since I don’t think the line numbers are tracked elsewhere in the project file. I’ll pass your suggestion along.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve
The more I think about clicking in the log and jumping to the code line…the more I get excited
I was thinking something simpler like just a parser that uses the tokenized elements of the log window to direct the ui?
BTW, other than reassigning etc, how can one print a text line to the log?

The only way to print a text line to the log window is to use the Log Statement. Of course you can filter words in the log window if you just want to see stuff you are interested in. These two features are the most useful features for me in version 1.9.0.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yeah I have always valued the filter feature enormously
Log = Print…slipped under my radar…thanks!
Although in Ableton/remote scripts its Log as well :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, this feature is not available with a single click. But give a double-click a try. It already works.

You do know that the current line number is displayed on the bottom right?
But yes, a line number column could be helpful, too. I’ll add it to the feature requests.

Thanks so much Florian

NO WAY!!! I totally missed that…SO COOL…that will greatly improve debugging. Cant believe I missed that in the manual
One thing I like with some of the hardware manuals is having some icon conventions ie caution, attention etc. Might be helpful to have an ACHTUNG! Tips at end of chapters to provide a summary of the powerful features…like this one :slight_smile:
I see the number but its just very focused imvho to have column numbers but the double click does the job too.

So good!

1 Like

Could I also add
The column could simply be the same format as the log window

It would be of great help to be able to double click on the midi out line on the log window and have it jump to the translator that issued it?

Hi, MIDI OUT can happen whether there is a translator or not (MIDI Thru).
If you check “outgoing” you can double click on the outgoing message (or incoming message for incoming) and it will take you to that translator.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ahh…the finer details
Cool…thanks
All set now for a much breezier debug.