Filter Exp Pedal oscillation using Mid Translator

Hi All

I have an FCB1010 I use to control Guitar Rig 6. Occasionally the Expression pedals gets stuck oscillating between two adjacent values, (either one, it is very random). Can anyone suggest a way I might be able to filter those oscillations out with Mid Translator (which I also use to control G,Rig) as this causes GRig to get too much midi info.

Best Regards

Dave

Hi and welcome back!

From what you describe, I think you have a buggy version of the FCB1010 firmware. Behringer had the bug in an early version of firmware. If you are under warranty you may be able to get an update. Or perhaps you could purchase FCB Uno firmware that doesn’t have this bug. I use UNO version 1.4.

With that said, the attached is a simple filter that you can use. The delta value between the last CC and the current CC is calculated and if it is less than or equal to 1 then the output is suppressed. I set it up so that end point (0 and 127) values are always sent. On the downside, you will now only get 1/2 the resolution as you got before.

It may be possible to get around this by looking at the timing of the incoming messages and if the next message happen within a given time, and the value is less than or equal to 1 then it is filtered. Then let through all messages that happen outside of that time frame. I’m not sure I want to figure that out now as it could be a bit complex to set up. Really, I would recommend you get firmware that has the bug fixed.

Simple Expression Filter.bmtp (1.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve

Thank you, that will do it for the time being. I am also using UNO 1.04. I read a post by Ossandust that apparently this problem is unique to version 04, something to do with “threshold” under certain circumstances. 1.03 doesnt do it so i might program an eprom with 1.03 at some stage. But thank you again Steve👍.

Best Regards Dave Abbott

Interesting as I’ve not seen this issue with 1.04. However since I got Uno2 on my other FCB1010 I’ve been using my 1.0.4 unit much less. On Uno2 you can even program it to turn off (disable) with a switch if you want.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

@Dave.Abbott

You sent to email the following and it bounced.

Hi Steve, I had a look at uno2. what are the advantages do you think? is there anything it CAN’T do when compared to 1.04.

Uno2 is way more flexible. There is a lot more you can do but at the cost of having to be a bit of a programmer. The main challenge I have is that I have to keep my code simple so I don’t consume the 2048 bytes of memory available within the FCB1010

I also have a EurekaProm pedal and sometimes use that in IO mode in conjunction with BomeBox running an MT Pro file. IO Mode is (dumb mode), but I can use MT Pro to have absolute control over the FCB1010 LED’s 7-segment displays and functions, but then again, I need to do anything “smart” within MT Pro but I haven’t run into a memory limit. I think that there is firmware that TinyBox uses that is similar to IO mode available from the UNO folks but since I have EurekaProm, I have not explored that.

If you go to the EurekaSound web site you should find a video that I did for them (in exchange for a discount) that shows how I use IO mode with it.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi,

I just created a new solution for this.

The expression pedal will need to move 3 clicks before it activates. Once activated, only 1 click is required. Then if the pedal is not moved within 500ms, it reverts back to 3 clicks so it should give you the precision you need and the eliminate the oscillation after 500 ms (1/2 second)

I use 3 global variables and a watchdog timer to control.

1. The amount of clicks required
  2. The timeout period
  3. The last known value of the pedal
// minimum amount to move to recognize the pedal
// has moved
ga=3
// timeout in ms
gb=500
// last known value
gc=0

These values are set up a project start.

Enjoy!

FCB-1010-Debounce.bmtp (2.1 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve

Brilliant ! Thanks for this. I have more than one FCB1010 so I’m
probably going to get the UNO2 for one of them.

Best Regards

Dave

Dave Abbott
Abbott & Crabb | DaStudio
Musician | Entertainer | Producer
083-280-5124
cricket@iafrica.com

Nhng4Tr1YpK7ycLz.png

I just noticed that Uno2 does to fix the oscillation issue so if it is a problem, you will still need the MT Pro project file I created. For me it is not really a problem,

Hi Steve

Thanks soooo much for the reply and heads up.
In what way does it “Not Fix” the oscillation problem, did you see it
happen on yours or??I’m about to buy if, but if that’s still a problem I
may rethink the whole thing.

Best

Dave

Nhng4Tr1YpK7ycLz.png

Well if the controller is stuck between two values, it will still constantly send them both as you described with UNO2 just like Uno 1.04 so unless you want some other new features, it is probably you just stick with UNO 1.03 which has the hysteresis in place. Either that or rely on MT Pro to resolve this.

Are there any specific features that you are looking for that you don’t have on UNO 1.03?

Steve

Hi,

I have a similar issue with a Kore 2 controller that I am trying to use in midi mode. This controller has 8 different knobs, assigned CC #12-19. The device is randomly sending out midi messages, primarily but not exclusively on the first knob (CC12), even when I am turning other knobs. This is frustrating for several reasons, not least of which the display on the unit changes to the display of CC12 even when I am turning the other knobs.

Will the debounce project file you linked to above solve this issue? Would I just need to create a separate preset within the project for each knob/CC#? I think this should work, as if I am not touching a particular knob, it should not be activated and any messages the unit decides to randomly send to that knob should be blocked. However, if I do turn the knob, it should receive the messages.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

If CC12 is your main culprit, I would start by just applying the logic in the project file I created to CC12 of your controller. Indeed if you need to de-bounce other knobs, you will need global variables for each so that we can track their last known values separately and decide whether the knobs have moved enough to warrant allowing the messages to go through or suppressing the extraneous ones.

Also putting the controller on a stable surface may solve the issue as maybe the vibrations of the surface are causing the problem.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the quick reply, and the assistance! I really appreciate it.

CC12 is my main culprit, but certainly not the only one (the issue occurs, albeit less often, when I completely block CC12 from going to the computer). Plus, unfortunately, it is not an issue of a stable surface - if you search for “Kore 2” knob sensitivity/jumping on the internet, you will find lots of complaints about this.

Thus, based on your advice I assume that I would need to establish eight separate global variables, one for each knob. Would this be established in the existing Init file? Would I also need a separate “CC Debounce” preset, one for each knob/CC? If you could kindly post a file with two of these knobs set up this way, I could definitely take it from there :slight_smile: .

I apologize, as I am very new to Bome, but very excited about the possibilities! Thanks again!!

Hi,
Please find the following example.

I set up CC12 for the first debounce instead of CC7 which was requested initially. I renamed the timer. Then created a new global variable for CC13 and also a timer for that along with updating the rules. I duplicated the first 3 translators and then changed the incoming, outgoing actions and the rules.

I have not fully tested it though but it should work. Ideally you should contact the manufacturer for a solution or purchase a different controller as we are merely dealing with dysfunctionality of the controller. Sometimes, though this is necessary for a number of reasons.

Debouce-Multiple.bmtp (3.0 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you very much, Steve! I will give it a try in the next few days - I really appreciate your help!

1 Like