Have one control send multiple messages?

Hi! I know this was awhile ago, but I’m wondering how I should route my MIDI ports so that when I open up my controller in a DAW such as FL, how the aforementioned translated messages can actively work within FL? Would I need to have Bome open, or would does is the translation passively working? Thanks!

Setup FLStudio to read from BMT 1 and write to BMT 1

Then have the MIDI router

Your controller → Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out → FL Studio
FL Studio → Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In → Your controller

Everything will pass through MT Pro untouched. Yes MT Pro needs to e open but can be minimized to the menu tray.

You can override the default routing of any MIDI message with translators. If “Swallow” is set then that particular message will not go through the default MIDI rout above.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

How do I allow both FL and Bome to open my MIDI Controller without conflicting?

On a Windows Platform you cannot open any MIDI port with two different applications, so you should use BMT 1 and BMT 1 in FL Studio and your real controller with MT Pro. This is a Windows limitation not a Bome limitation.

With Bome Network Pro with unlimited MIDI ports, however we can do some advanced routing and give each application its own copy of a given MIDI port. They will still have their own ports but you can use Bome Network Pro to clone and split the ports from your controller and clone and merge the ports back from FL studio.

For instance I have the following routing that allows me with Bome Network Pro to share ports

Split Side to two applications

APC-Mini In → APCMIN-V1 Out
APC-MIN In → APCMINI-V2 Out

Merge side from two applications

APCMIN-V1 In → APC Mini Out
APCMIN-V2 In → APC Mini Out

Where V1 would be one application and V2 a separate application

Again, to pull this off you would need Bome Network Pro running and would need the unlimited named virtual port options.

I use this technique to share multiple Mackie type controllers with at given application.
I also use this technique to allow my Nectar Pacer Pedal to be programmed on the web interface without moving things around.

Here is a diagram of my Nektar Pacer routing.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ah, got it! Ok, one more thing relating to the original question. So I want to have a PC pad be able to send out its respective PC message as well as an additional CC message. Could I do this without any rules? I’m not trying to translate it altogether, if that makes sense, just want one input to send out multiple messages with one press. Thanks for your swift and thorough replies!

Yes, have multiple translators with the same incoming trigger and different outgoing action. See this post.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This makes sense. Would there be a way to make the initial PC press be sent out as Note On and then have it send out a Note Off value upon release? Or is this not possible since the incoming message is PC?

You can convert any type of incoming message to any type of outgoing message. If there is no-incoming message, however, there is nothing to convert so if it sends a PC on press and nothing on release, you wouldn’t be able to convert nothing to anything.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ah. So is there no possible way to have a PC message behave as though it were a Note On/Off, even if it were a roundabout way?

We could set a timer to send a note-off message at some time after the Note-On was set. If releasing the button sends a different message, we can use that to trigger the note off.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Oh! But then would the release event be completely dependent on the timer that I set, rather than immediately when I let go of the button? Ideally, this PC pad would be able to send a Note On event upon press, and a Note Off event immediately after release, essentially doing the same work as a normal note on/off button would.

Yeah, we can’t convert a MIDI signal if we are not receiving one.

That makes sense. So there’s no way in Bome to convert a PC message so that it works as a press/release? Even a complicated way to make this work?

Maybe if you told me the controller you are using, we could find another way. Other than that if nothing is sent on release all we can do is “guess” when the button is released.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

It’s an Akai MPK Mini MKIII :slight_smile:

Hi,

See this document.

Press button referenced as 12 to make Program Change inactive. Your pads will then send notes.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I believe with the MPK software manager, you might be able to also assign your pads to something else. I don’t know since I don’t have this device. This is also referenced in the afore mentioned document.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yeah, you can switch between message type with the button and change the values themselves in the editor software, but I actually want it to be active since I need the PC messages to also behave like a Note On/Off when I press it. Maybe there’s really no way to do this though!

Hi, if you set them for note on/off messages then you can use MT Pro to change it to any mssages that you want. At least with note-on (press) and note-off (release) you will see some MIDI message on both events and then there is something we can translate.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yeah, but I think I need it to go the other way. For reference, I am using a looping software VST called Mobius. In Mobius, you can map functions exactly how you want with your controller. It also allows you to use different kinds of scripts.

What I am attempting to do is use my PC Bank to select different tracks on the looper, and additionally, add a sustain script that when I hold the button it clears the content of the track. However, sustain scripts can only be executed with a CC or Note On/Off trigger, for obvious reasons. I am using the PC bank instead of the controller’s CC or Note banks since those are already occupied with different functions.

What I need Bome to do is have the Akai’s PC Bank, which I use to select tracks, also be able to send out either a CC or Note On/Off so that I can run sustain scripts with a release event so that the sustain script knows when to stop.

Hopefully this all makes sense to a (presumably) non-Mobius user, but again, it might just not be possible given the conditions! Thanks for sticking with me though, haha