Have one control send multiple messages?

I believe with the MPK software manager, you might be able to also assign your pads to something else. I don’t know since I don’t have this device. This is also referenced in the afore mentioned document.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Yeah, you can switch between message type with the button and change the values themselves in the editor software, but I actually want it to be active since I need the PC messages to also behave like a Note On/Off when I press it. Maybe there’s really no way to do this though!

Hi, if you set them for note on/off messages then you can use MT Pro to change it to any mssages that you want. At least with note-on (press) and note-off (release) you will see some MIDI message on both events and then there is something we can translate.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yeah, but I think I need it to go the other way. For reference, I am using a looping software VST called Mobius. In Mobius, you can map functions exactly how you want with your controller. It also allows you to use different kinds of scripts.

What I am attempting to do is use my PC Bank to select different tracks on the looper, and additionally, add a sustain script that when I hold the button it clears the content of the track. However, sustain scripts can only be executed with a CC or Note On/Off trigger, for obvious reasons. I am using the PC bank instead of the controller’s CC or Note banks since those are already occupied with different functions.

What I need Bome to do is have the Akai’s PC Bank, which I use to select tracks, also be able to send out either a CC or Note On/Off so that I can run sustain scripts with a release event so that the sustain script knows when to stop.

Hopefully this all makes sense to a (presumably) non-Mobius user, but again, it might just not be possible given the conditions! Thanks for sticking with me though, haha

If you can give me an example of the MIDI messges you want to send, I can help

Press button - What MIDI messages to send to Mobius
Release button - What MIDI messages to send to Mobius

For now, lets not worry about what controller sends. I will show you for notes and then we can send any combination we want when pressing and when releasing the button.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Sure!

Press button - CC #60, Channel 8, velocity 127
Release button - CC #60, Channel 8, velocity 0

These could easily be any CC or Note On/Off values, just chose for example.

That is all you want to send? I thought you wanted to send more complex messages at press and release? We cab program any button to send any combination of MIDI messages on press and also on release. We simply will not be able to do this if you have your buttons set to PC mode since it will only send a PC message on press and not on release.

We can convert for instance CC60 channel 8 velocity 127 to to any PC on any MIDI channel. And also send any other combinations of MIDI messages.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

“We simply will not be able to do this if you have your buttons set to PC mode since it will only send a PC message on press and not on release.”

Yes, that’s what I feared.

It would have looked like:

Input - Program Change 15, Channel 4 —>

press button - CC#60, Channel 8, velocity 127
release button - CC#60, Channel 8, velocity 0

I need to have it in PC mode since they are reserved for a certain purpose, but at the same time I need them to do the same thing a CC or note on/off would do. Sounds like it’s not possible from what you’re saying though.

Put it in CC or Note Mode and convert it to PC for your application. Then you can do whatever you want. We can have Bome MIDI Translator create layers for you to control the mode you are in.

Steve

I’m not sure that would work since those banks are already mapped to other functions, so translating them would either take away some of the economy or interfere too much with what is already there :confused:

You can create virtual banks in MT Pro so that for instance you double click a given pad and it changes to a different virtual bank in which all of the pads change their outgoing function to the application. The incoming messages from the controller would be the same on all virtual banks, however each virtual bank could have it’s own outgoing message(s) to send to the application

I have several dumb controllers that I do this with. You can essentially create and unlimited number of MIDI controls.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hm. I’m trying to imagine how that would play out here. How would that look in my case?

You could use any control to switch virtual banks. Your controller would be on the same internal bank but MT Pro would interpret and translate the controls differently on each virtual bank.

Maybe this video would be a good way to visualize it.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok, I watched the video but still a little confused. So basically I can use a control (such as a PC message) to switch to a virtual bank, and one of the layers would be a Note On and the other would be a Note Off? How would this relate to the problem?

You could use a PC to switch layers. And the new layer could remap the note messages to be something else. On the controller you would be on the same physical layer but from the application standpoint it would look like a different layer because Bome would translate the messages to something else.

Steve

For instance, the attached will select preset 1 or preset 2 depending on program change messages.
All subsequent notes coming in on MIDI channel 1 will be converted to the selected MIDI channel.

This particular example is for the matrix pads on an APC-MIN

It has 64 pad so we can essentially get 128 MIDI messages with the 2 presets

MIDI channel selector.bmtp (1.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I can get a better idea from this, still unsure how to apply it though. Would you maybe be willing to make mock-up project that would work how you’re explaining it so that I could try it out and adjust/ask questions? I’m about to buy the program, so it would be nice to know that this would work practically before I jump into more hours of this thing. If not, totally understand, you’ve been incredibly helpful and responsive already, greatly appreciate all the tips!

Yes, that is what the project file works that I already posted. You would need to adjust the translators as you wish to handle the incoming and outgoing messages of your particular controller. Right now sending PC1 on MIDI channel 1 will select preset number 1 and sending PC2 on MIDI channel 2 will select preset number 2. You add translators for the buttons you want to program within those presets. Since you have a PC button, you could

1. Push the PC Button
  2. Push a Pad that sends PC1 or PC2 to switch presets
  3. Push the Note or CC button
  4. Push the respective pad that you want to use to send whatever PC message you want.

Beyond this, would be paid support so feel free to send me a PM or email if you want to proceed that way.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Shoot, still lost. Do you do any live services?

Email or Private message me.