How to Send MIDI to Two Open Audio Apps In Windows? (New User)

HI, I have a Nektar SE61. I want to send MIDI to two open applications in Windows 11. Ableton Live 11 and Musescore 4. This worked find on my 12 year old MacBookPro but will not work on Windows (I have researched this). I’ll be happy to buy BMT if it’ll simply do that - send MIDI to these two open audio applications on Windows simultaneously. And if someone could point me to a good tutorial on how to set it up, I’d really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Yes, unlike MacOS. Windows only allows access to one application or device to a MIDI port at once.

So you will need to use something like Bome MIDI Translator Pro (MTPRO) and set up MIDI thru routes as follows

Nektar SE61 - > MTPRO → Bome Virtual Port 1 (AKA BMT 1) → Ableton Live
|-------------------------------> Bome Virtual Port 2 (AKA BMT 2) → Musecore

This essential splits the signal into 2 desinations.
For MIDI coming back you will also need to set up a reverse routing to merge the signals. Or if you SE61 gets confused by having different message coming from each application, you can either enable only one route or set up translators to handle the differences. You can even have translators that turn on and off given routes so you can control the routing by MIDI.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Excellent Steve. Thanks for the quick reply. I have watched your video on same and it’s very informative. I don’t need any MIDI coming back. I only need to send to the two programs at once. This is only for one thing - writing music charts for clients which most of the time I am transcribing from a recording. I use Ableton to get the parts off the recording and check them with a piano sound, and then use the same keyboard to input the notes to MuseScore. But for tricky chords, etc…I can’t lose the Ableton sound. Or I’ll forget the chord voicing. The other part of this equation is making the two programs output audio at the same time. I have discovered FlexASIO which looks to do the job in advance of purchasing a ‘proper’ audio interface. Thanks again!

I use Voicemeeter Potato for managing my sound sources on my Windows PC. I use a Roland UMC-404 HD as the interface. I’m not sure you would need Voicemeeter however, for your simple audio merging. It is kind of like a Mixer on your Windows desktop. Voicemeeter can be pretty tricky to set up but once I figured it out and saved my settings, I generally don’t need to do too much more. Of course I have a complex setup with lots of audio routing and mixing even between my 2 Windows PC’s. For instance, on my second PC, I don’t have any audio cards and I send audio over my LAN between the PC’s to my main PC which has all the sound (and the audio interface) attached.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thx Steve I will check that out!