How to Setup Sustain pedal "off" as a distinct note trigger

New user hope someone can help me. I’m a keyboard player looking to use a sustain pedal (going through sostenuto port) to trigger a kick drum in Ableton Live. I’ve got it working great with the kick hitting every time I depress the pedal. Now I’d like to cut my effort in half and program a kick trigger on pedal release. Tried programming it but just can’t execute this. Any advice?

I could post my script here but… now it’s not working at all LOL. Seems like this should be easy to do. Convert control change coming in from pedal: Midi B0 42 00 for pedal depress and Midi B0 42 7F for pedal release. I could be wrong on that.

Ableton is displaying a midi event but it’s not coming in on a specific note yet. Midi monitor in Bomes shows green light for midi in, and red light for midi out on pedal depress. On pedal release shows midi in green light, and no light at all for midi out.

Please help!

Thanks

Hi and welcome back!

Please find the attached. I’m assuming that your pedal send CC 66 (hex 42) with a value of 127 ( hex 7F) when pressed and a value of 0 when released.

There are 6 translators.

The first three translators handle when you press your pedal.

The first translator looks for CC 66 value 127 and fires a timer (Press). The second translator sends note–on note 25. The third translators sends note-off note 25 50msec later. You may need to adjust the note number or the delay.

The second group of (three) translators handle when yorelease your pedal.

The first translator looks for CC 66 value 0 and fires a timer (Release). The second translator sends note–on note 26. The third translators sends note-off note 26 50msec later. You may need to adjust the note number or the delay.

I set up aliases as follows and you should be prompted to set them to the device ports you want. For testing I’m just using virtual ports.

Kick-with-CC.bmtp (2.0 KB)

This should be enough to get you started.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve! Love your software. I’ll give this a go.