Increasing number of virtual ports

Hi. I'm a little crazy. My studio has a lot of midi stuff. Is there any way to increase the number of virtual ports past the 9 that are available? It would help keep everything tidy and crosstalk free... Thanks.

Attachments:
![](upload://uHSV4QXY7kNjCM9HgV5LU6e5zbW.gif)

Try something like Midi Yoke. I don’t remember how many it allows but I’m sure it is a bunch. I would think whatever gear you have would have “real” ports anyway. I really only use virtual ports to tie things together on anything I want to monitor.

Not sure if it will take more than 9 but you also might want to start up with a larger number on the command line and see if that helps.

/bmidi

Hi, MT Pro is indeed limited to 9 ports for pure business reasons. The greedy Bome marketing team thought it would be great to shelve off some more money from the most loyal customers… Well, joking aside, we’re planning an add-on “Unlimited Virtual MIDI” or so:

• create an unlimited number of virtual ports
  • give each port an individual name
  • use the ports in the MIDI Router and in your MT Pro project file
  • store the port definitions in the MT Pro project file

This add-on will also work in the Bome Network tool.
I assume this would be what you need…
Florian

Oh yes… Thanks Florian!!!!!!!

I’d like this, especially for Bome Network.

This is a great feature. Any update on whether it’s out yet or what the ETA is? Thanks!

thanks for asking back. We hope to get to this feature soon; it’s out of planning and in the implementation queue. But we generally don’t publish ETA’s…

where’s the link?

We’re actually close to release of “unlimited virtual MIDI ports” for Bome Network! No ETA…

Any closer now?

Hi,

Unlimited Virtual MIDI ports is now available as an add-on to Bome Network Pro.

You can find a link about 1/2 way down on this page.

https://www.bome.com/products/bomenet

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Many apologies if I should understand this but I own BMTP. (Love it btw, totally indispensable tool, don’t know what I would do without it).

But I sorely need more virtual ports just in my machine (loopMidi is feeding back where BVPs do not), no networking needed (at least not yet). Do I need to purchase both Bome Network Pro and Unlimited Named Midi Ports to do this? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

You can use Bome Network (Free version) and then purchase unlimited virtual ports. You just won’t be able to network between computers as the free version of Bome Network only works between Computer and BomeBoxes.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok bought it. Created a couple ports and the first one I test, can’t get anything to go through it. The way I had it set up before:

Software generates Midi Clock, out to Bome Midi Translator 9, connect that with Midi Router in BMTP to other software, other software receives Midi Clock.

If I substitute my new port in the above equation, BMTP log window does not see the midi clock and nothing happens.

So what am I doing wrong?

Hi, my guess is you didn’t create any routing for the new virtual MIDI port.
Virtual ports on “Unlimited Virtual Ports” are not routed by default. They are just “endpoints”

If you create a a route as follows, it should work.

IN: MyVirtualPort → OUT: MyVirtualPort

This will route anything coming to the input of your new virtual port to go to the output of the same virtual port (endpoint)

This is done in the Bome Network MIDI router. You must first go to the menu tray , right click and the click “Show”

Then select the MIDI Router.

Then press the “+” to add a new route

Then select the routing as shown below and click on “Add”. (Ignore the other routings, as they are just other virtual ports I have created on my system.

Now anything coming in your port named “MyVirtualPort” will be sent to the output “MyVirtualPort”.

Let us know if this works for you.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Connecting it to itself in the Bome Network Router worked. Now BMTP picks it up and moves it to the other software. Great, thank you!

Edit: Just curious. How do these differ from the nine virtual ports that BMTP creates? Does connecting it like this now make it the equivalent of one of those virtual ports and the same behavior can be expected? I’m asking because I didn’t have to do anything special to get those to work, I just had them in the BMTP Router and routed them and have no problems whatsoever with those nine virtual ports. By routing these new ports this way, I’m not creating any feedback problems or anything else I have to worry about, am I?

They work the same way as MT Pro virtual ports, the only differences are

• How the endpoints are routed (Bome Network vs MT Pro)
  • Their naming (your own names)
  • Bome Network Virtual ports can talk to anything where MT Pro virtual ports, one end has to be MT Pro and the other has to be something other than MT Pro. (With MT Virtual ports, you cannot route an outgoing MT Pro virtual port back into MT Pro).

There is always the possibility of creating unintended MIDI loops so just be careful to ensure the routing makes sense.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok, thank you