Is it possible to delay Note- On/Off & allow specific CC message to be sent first?

Hi I would like to allow Digitakt’s midi step sequencer to send CC messages before the note on & note on (off) is passed on.

So to calcify, a step would save the note on & off message in a buffer and let the CC message to be sent first, then retrieve the note message from the buffer to be sent out.

How would I set this up in MIDI Translator Pro?

Appreciate it if someone could give me some tips!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

The best way is to actually send the CC message first from your Digitakt. That is how MIDI devices are designed to work. However you can always add a delay in translators to note messages and no delay on CC messages. It is much cleaner than trying to buffer multiple note messages in MT Pro and then release them later.

In this example I’m sending the following in rapid succession.

90 20 7F
90 20 00
b0 24 7f

You can see by the log that the CC happens first since I put a 20ms delay on the note.

Delay-Note-CC-First.bmtp (1.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

I will give this a try when I’m in front of the computer! :+1: :+1: :+1:

I just had a look at the attached file, thats much more straight forward then what I had in mind !

I was wondering if the note-off can follow an arbitrary length ? As in the midi note itself might be different length.

Also I noticed the Digitakt actually sends Note-On (off) instead Note Off, is this something I should be concerned?

Thanks again!

It is probably important that the delay for note-off is the same as for note on and leave it to the sender to determine the length of the note. Otherwise, you would need to automatically generate a note off message at some pre-determined length if the sender doesn’t send note-off messages (which would be out of MIDI spec).

As far as note-off format. MIDI defines it in two ways.

1. Note-Off with any velocity where the velocity indicates how quickly the note is released.
  2. Note-On with zero velocity is interpreted as note-off.

In the example I posted the note-off translator will interpret either format as a note-off message.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz