Is it possible to keep MIDI Translator Pro active even when another window is open?

First of all, many thanks to Bome and the developers for creating this incredible software. Within minutes I was able to program something for Ableton and a MIDI pedal I had lying around that would have been impossible to do otherwise.

My only question is this, is it possible to keep the Translator Pro program active even if it is not the active window? As far as I can tell, whenever I click on Ableton, the MIDI functions stop working - only when I click back on the Bome application, then the MIDI functions start working again.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Indeed it can be in the background. Maybe you could post an example of what is not working and I can take a look.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you Steve - how do I activate the ‘background’ mode? Is there a setting in the properties?

My preset tracks the ‘page up’ key pressed, and turns it into a CC 64 value sent to Ableton (via IAC) each time the pageup key is pressed.

Here is the text for my project, in case this helps:

Project: asdf
Project MIDI OUT ports: IAC Driver Bus 1
Route #1: IN “Bome Virtual Port 1” → OUT “IAC Driver Bus 1”

Preset 0: New Preset

Translator 0.0: New Translator
Incoming: Keystrokes: Page Up
Outgoing: Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:64 (0x40) and value:127 (0x7F), to ports Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out, IAC Driver Bus 1, Bome Virtual Port 1, delay:20 millisec

Translator 0.1: New Translator
Incoming: Keystrokes: Page Up
Outgoing: Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:64 (0x40) and value:1 (0x01), to ports IAC Driver Bus 1, Bome Virtual Port 1, Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out

Preset 1: New (2) Preset

Hi again,

It appears your translators have incoming keystrokes and outgoing MIDI messages. My guess is that it is working OK, however for incoming keystrokes, they are never suppressed so that page up and page down commands are also getting sent to the currently in-focus application as well as the MIDI messages. It is best if you set up your incoming keystrokes for something that no applications are looking for. Maybe some unused keyboard shortcuts or better still, invest in a low cost MIDI controller that will not send keystrokes at all?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz