Is it possible to use Translator Classic to turn a Hi-hat cc into open and closed note messages?

Trying to use my TD-30 drums with VH-11 Hi-hats to play Clone Hero and it requires specific Midi inputs, but since it can’t interpret CC I can only use the open hats which makes it hard to play the different closed and open hat notes in the game. I’m trying to figure out a way to turn the CC pp>=80 to send a closed hat note message(80 since that’s the default pos for closed on TD-30) and any other pp<80 to send open. Is that possible and if so, can someone help me with it?

For incoming Midi message I get B9 04 pp (CC#10, Foot Controller, pp)

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

There is no concept of ‘rules’ in Bome MIDI Translator classic. With that said, if the value sent each time is always the same, you could have 2 translators with one to send an open hat message on a particular value of pp and the other to send a closed hat message on a different value of pp. They would need to be absolute values and not ranges unless you added additional translators for each possible value.

By contrast, the Pro version would be able to handle ranges.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

So I could technically make translators for all the pp values that are 80 or higher to send a closed hat message and leave the rest as they are. Do you know where I could find the Outgoing message I need to send a specific Midi Note No.?

I would assume you need to send it to whatever sound module your VH-11 is sending to.
I think you would probably need a note-on for hi-hat up and note-off for hi-tat down or visa versa. This will really depend on how the MIDI sound module operates.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I can’t find which note nn’s are for hi-hat open and closed. Would it just be the midi note number from the module?

You should be able to view the incoming notes in a log file for what comes from your hi-hat module (assuming it sends MIDI) and then the receiving sound module documentation should be able to provide guidance on required MIDI needed.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I’m assuming you mean the Capture Midi option for the log. It just gives the B9 04 pp sequence that I mentioned in the original post. Closed hi-hat should give a midi value of 42, so for my outgoing message would it be something like ‘90 2A pp’ (Note On #1: F#2, vel pp)?

B9 04 pp is CC4 MIDI Channel 10 any value with value value set in pp to whatever the incoming value is.
B= CC
9= Ch 10 (0-15 = ch 1-16)
04 = CC4

Yes 90 2A pp would be Note-On Note 42 MIDI CH 1 with the same velocity as the incoming CC value. If you want max velocity you could substitute 7F instead of pp for the outgoing velocity.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Would it be best to have the Note On be CH 10 since that’s the channel that the module uses?

And what would be the best MIDI Out? I have MIDI Mapper, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, Midi Control 1, and the module itself TD-30. I really just have no clue which would do what other than Wavetable giving direct audio.

Yes probably MIDI CH 10 if that is what your module uses. If you module is TD-30, you would send it there.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Awesome, Thank you so much for the help! I will be trying that setup out soon and let you know if there are any more issues.