Jog wheel mapping

hi,
i try to map my jog wheel to my daw
1 mapped the according cc message…

always jog the cursor daw backward… does not follow left and right movement of the jog only the left

I,m new to this, i assume it has something to do with rules…
or 2 translator one for the right and one for the left and a rule so they dont cancel each other
i tried the velocity range with no result

as you see i m completely lost…

Hi,
I can likely help you but need to know what the Jog Wheel sends when turning clockwise and what it sends when turning counter clockwise.

In MIDI Translator Pro. Set your controller as the incoming so it opens the port.
Open the log window and check “MIDI IN”

Turn your jog wheel to the right. The copy and paste what it is sending on this forum.
Turn your jog wheel to the left,. Then copy and pasted what it is sending on this forum.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steeve,

JOG WHEEL

LEFT B0 3C 41

RIGHT B0 3C 01

The attached should work.

It has 2 tranlators.
The first send the keystroke “L” and the second sends the keystroke “R”, depending on which way you are turning the knob.

Jog-Wheel-Example.bmtp (1.0 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve, it works as the jog now goes left to right but it s not as smooth as it supposed to

in the physical jog i have like small dent inside the mecanisme that i can feel
i use to be able to move the daw cursor by each dent movementso to speak

now it s like i have to move the jog by approx 8 dent to obtain that one measure movement

i have a lagging feel

So if you move it more quickly to the right is the last number 02 03 04 etc and to the left faster 42 43 44 etc? It is possible that the jog wheel is sending larger values that allow out to move more responsively. If so we can adjust the translators to use timers to create more keystroke actions.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

HI steve,

Yes
i registered values from 7 to 9 to the right
41 to 49 to the right

best regards

OK, try this.

Jog-Wheel-Example-Timer.bmtp (1.4 KB)

In this version, I set up a repeating timer for keystrokes with a 10 ms delay between keystrokes. You should be able to adjust the delay to your liking in the output of the first two translators.

If the delay is too fast, your application may not have time to keep up. If it is too slow, it will seem laggy.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

did not work, the timer rules makes the jog inactive… when i delete the rules, the jog comes to life again

I’ll look again but it was working for me.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,
i dont know if it matters but i had to change the keystroke as L and R are already in use in my workflow

my keystroke are:
Left= CTRL ALT SHIFT L
Right: CTRL ALT SHIFT ;

Hi Steve,

You re right, the jog behavior is faster and works as native… i tested with you re arrow left right assigment
but in the daw, the left and right asigment scroll to track not through time line…

i ll work on a workaround with in the short cut assigment daw
and get back to you if i cant work this out

thanks for the support, project is stepping forward one step at a time
best regards
-Yanick

Got it , works like a charm

my next step is programming the zoom function with the jog
my understanding is to do so i have to send a midi modifier signal so the jog no longer scroll through time line but act as a zoom in and out command…

it also requires a toggle command for the modifier
i think i saw a post on the forum on that topic with a guy working on logic pro

even if it not working on logic, may be the concept is similar
i ll give it a shot

OK, let me now. For me, the easiest way to change the behavior is would to copy the current preset into a new preset and the change the outgoing keys in the other preset to control zoom and then use your modifier to enable only one of the two presets.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

hi steve
easier than i thought as the zoom modifier in the plateform Nano already assign a different midi message to the jog
so it was as easy as pairing the midi message with the according keystroke short cut of sutio one

Yep, glad to hear it! Once the methodology if figured out it is pretty easy to duplicate.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

A post was split to a new topic: Platform X and Platform Nano