KEY REPEAT: Best way to manage

Just wondering about best practise for key repeat
I am using Fn13-24 along with modifiers
When I use the single keys, there is no repeat (except for timed repeats in mtp) and this is great
HOWEVER
When I add eg shift key, it repeats wildly when all I need is the simple key down/up state

How is this best manage?

Hi @mwesse

The attached will start Shift(A) when you send Note-On Note-0 at a rate of 500ms (1/2 second). When you release the note (Note-Off Note-0) then the timer will be killed and the keys will no longer be pressed. It will send to the currently in-focus applicatino

Translator 1 - If the timer is active (ga=1) do nothing, else start the timer.
Translator 2 - Set timer active to 0 (ga=0) and kill the timer
Translator 3 - Send repeating keystrokes.

Shift-A-Repeating timer.bmtp (1.4 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve
Sorry I wasnt clear;

Its actually the other way around…Im using a keypad to generate the midi. The key repeat on the hui device is the actual issue as it seems to have no way to control the key repeat…so was wondering if anyone else had that trouble in the past and possible solution

Cheers

By Keypad, do you mean a computer keypad? The best way I know how to stop for Windows is to turn key repeat off. I think Mac might have a similar setting.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Im using a tartarus gaming keypad which has “Turbo” to make it faster hehe
But the win10 repeat delay etc only makes it worse.

Hi, if you want to use incoming keystrokes for outgoing MIDI, there is no way MT Pro can tell whether the user is actually pressing the key multiple times or whether Windows is generating an automatic key repeat. So the only answer I would know off is turn off Windows Key Repeat delay, and then use a timer in MT Pro to generate repeat MIDI repeat (if you want MIDI repeat).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

From what i can see…you can only mod to be slower ie for accessible? You cant actually fully turn it off…unless im missing something?

Check out this link. This board is not for Windows support :slight_smile: . You might want to search for “Key Repeat - Windows 10”

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I absolutely did…
But as mentioned… its an accessibility option and then filters double click etc
You cant actually turn it off without affecting gesturing.

In other words; it cant tell the def between a key repeating because its being held vs key down/up in sequence

This is part of my shortcuts and the logical mapping/gesture relationships. Each of the g2 and g4 gestures can also be held down for repeating ie increment so it needs to address both. I do this easily for oem hardware that I program because the midi firmware engineers simply code the requirements per spec.

1 Like

But it still repeats?
Try it…I already have…else I wouldnt pester Bome board :slight_smile: best you can do is increase the repeat to n secs
Im asking for
Shift, Ctrl, Alt to not repeat at all…although double press etc is not considered
BUT
all other keys need to be able to still double press and not repeat at all…just like midi behaviour.

This is an operation system issue. Please figure out how to do this in Windows via Microsoft support. This is not an adjustable feature in MT Pro.

MT Pro will look at the keystrokes (no matter how they are generated) and cannot distinguish between key repeat input and normal input.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I understand…and because it seems it cant be managed by the OS, I asked the question here in case there also had been other users encountering the same issues…which pops up pretty quickly when you try and do keyboard qualifiers as gestures or in concert with midi.
eg Im using MCU as well as qualifiers on the left hand so that a vpot can have 3 functions with qualifiers if you know what I mean

Florian had addressed all my issues with VKEYS etc and everything was solved in regards to that and yet it was an OS interpretation that was the key (sorry for the pun…unintended heh)
So based on this…I was wondering whether the KAM also had further filtering capabilites.

This is the best I could do.

Control-Windows-O will turn on/of the onscreen keyboard if your regular keyboard is locked out.

For me, I’m leaving key repeat on.
Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve
Yeah that blocks double press…Ill try again and muck around but I should actually get back to work :expressionless:

EDIT: What is weird is that a single hold eg shift doesnt repeat but as soon as I hold shift+ctrl is repeats???