Mackie HUI "pings"

Hi,

I own an old Mackie which works great with Cubase, and am using the midi translator to be able to use the unmapped Mackie buttons in Cubase, translating the messages from the HUI.

It ‘almost’ works : the HUI sends two messages for each press, one on the push and one on the release. And the HUI ‘I’m alive’ pings seem to get in the way by being sent in between.

Is there a way to completely filter out the pings so they are not at all processed by the translation rules?

Regards!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Well the only message to avoid in order to not interferer with HUI pings is note-on note 0 which is the HUI ping and response.

If you want to map something to this, you should use a different MIDI port than you have setup for your HUI device. The HUI will need to see the pings from the host and respond with a ping response to the host. It sounds like you already have this working so lets say your HUI port is BMT 1.

Open another port on BMT 2 and then direct any button messages you want sent to this non-HUI port to BMT 2 instead of BMT 1. Allow the HUI pings to continue to respond on BMT 1.

For more information about device selection, see this tutorial.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you for your timely reply. I am currently listening in BOME Midi Translator on my MOTU midi input (which is connected to the HUI) and outputting (midi notes) to a BOME midi port which is connected to a MIDI Generic Device within Cubase (with the HUI also connected as a HUI but on the MOTU MIDI ports).

My question was probably badly formulated, my issue was not about using the ping message but rather to ensure it doesn’t get in the way of the other messages I am processing with Midi Translator, I would simply like Midi Translator to completely ignore them.

Apparently, they would sometimes occur in the middle of a two-parts message (notably button press / button release) and my translation would fail because of that.

I can try to capture logs if it helps making my issue clearer?

Best regards

So you want to make sure Mackie HUI pings are only routed to your HUI device and that they are not routed to your other generic device.

As an example, set up your HUI device in Cubase to go to and from BMT 1 and have your generic device setup to go to and from BMT 2. Then the 2 devices will not interfere with each other. In MT Pro you can set up routing of these two virtual ports to go to different attached devices.

For more information about device selection, see this tutorial.

I just recently posted a project on a similar question where the user wants to use transport messages with Reaper and other messages with Mixing station. The concept is similar when it comes to MIDI routing. You can review this post.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz