Making a 7bit knob send out smoothed 14 bit messages?

This is amazing! It looks like I have to buy this.
Only issue at the moment (VERY MINOR) is that a certain value within a parameter stucks, and after rotationg a little more it moves again.

in practise this is how it can look:

I route my encoder to my EQ Band 1 Frequency. Its default position at 100, needs more rotation to ‘start’. If I rotate it slowly while I observe BOME. it looks like the value needs to change a certain amount till it starts moving. Perhaps a video of this would make it easier to understand?

If this is nothing that can be fixed, I would still be happy with the result.

On another note, not that this is something I HAVE to have, but can you like ‘toggle’ this to take action? I have another method via making another MIDI Remote in worst case scenario.

Soo many thanks!

Maybe a video would help. I can’t think of what might be causing this. Maybe you can also show what the MIDI outgoing log show in MT Pro when it is happening?

I’m not sure what you mean. Do you mean having changing precision? So that with a push of a button it can toggle between fine precision and standard precision? We could do something like that in MT Pro but not sure how Cubase would handle the precision change on the fly.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Can I upload a video here?

Well simply be able to assign a key command of some sort that would disable/bypass the translator.
I am not asking you to do this at this point, I am simply curious if it would be possible.

We could use a keystroke to turn a preset on or off. If a preset is off, the translators within the preset are bypassed.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Okey cool.

I will fix the video tomorrow, how where do I upload or send it?

When I do videos, I put them on Youtube and mark them as unlisted and then just share the link on the forum.

I’m not sure if the forum would allow a huge file and most email systems don’t allow huge attachments either.

Steve

Here is a video link of the issue

So as you can see it gets stuck at certain parameter values.
Also, in the end of the video, the frequency never gets passed 12000hz But i assume that is that the value has already hit 1000 in BOME?

I see, what is the MIN and Max you set in Cubase? It looks like we are putting out correct values so somehow Cubase isn’t reading them correctly.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I have mixed with different, including 0-1000 and it still stucks at the same spots.

Maybe it is not recognizing it as a 14 bit value. Can it just learn relative values? Not sure how Cubase works here. Maybe you can show you how you are setting it in Cubase?

I couldn’t even figure out how to get Cubase to MIDI learn anything.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Its recognizing at 14 bit and switching to absolute value seems to work as well, however it still stucks at these parameter values

However, this only seems to happen in the channel strip within cubase, It happened on other plugin parameters previously but now it does not. Ive no idea why. If this remains to only happen in the channel strip, this is absolutely no big deal

I guess this will be a battle for another day then.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve.
I have been doing a factory reset for my computer, therefore not diving more into this issue, till now!

So I have a question. With this BOME project, in the middle of using it in cubase, suddenly it stops working when turning the encoder either in the one direction or the other. Is this due to that the value hitting a bottom or top value? If the translator is at 0 and I continuously rotate left, then no change can happen cause I am at 0 right? Same goes if I’ve already hit 1000, right?

Yes, because we are using absolute values. Now if Cubase can ‘learn’ encoders with relative values and you have an endless encoder, then we could probably set it up so that it continues forever (or at least until Cubase has reached the max).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Right okey. I’ll try to find this out if it is possible.

Hey Steve.
So I’ve disabled the BOME Translator.
Now in the midi remote in Cubase I can map my encoders to quick controls. When changing windows, from plugin to plugin, or plugin to channel strip or channel strip to VST Instrument, everything works as intended. I can rotate the encoder clockwise till I’ve reached the max on a plugin parameter. When switching to a new plugin, channel strip or instrument, I do not need to ‘rotate back’. I can start right away rotating clockwise and no ‘stop’ will occur.

Is this a way of telling that Cubase ‘knows’ relative value?

It appears maybe so. I’m not an expert on Cubase. What MIDI messages do your encoders send?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

does this answer the question?

In the software accompanied the hardware it says message type: CC