Making a 7bit knob send out smoothed 14 bit messages?

Yes, it certainly does seem like it recognizes relative values.

You are sending 1 and up to 63 (usually just 1-3 or 1-4) for positive movement.
You are sending 65 and up to 127 (usually 65-68 or 65-69) for negative movement.

This type of relative encoder is what is typically used for Mackie V-Pots.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Yes it is functioning with the Mackie Control within Cubase.
So with this info, it would be possible to get these finer values without encountering this ‘stops’ I mentioned previously?

Perhaps, however the message you are sending is really used primarily for track 1 of 8 pan. Mackie MCU uses banks of 8 and C16-24 for each bank of tracks so if you wanted this kind of encoder for other functions, I would suggest you try different CC numbers otherwise you might be in conflict with using the Mackie MCU protocol elsewhere.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

When you say perhaps, do you mean it maybe will work, or do you mean it will work but it maybe will not be practical?

Well, you are telling me it works. I haven’t tested it. If you are also using Mackie MCU protocol, just steer clear of the standard messages that protocol uses. In general for application use with relative encoders, it is the application that ultimately decides or defines the precision.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I have the possibility to just use this as a midi controller. I have 3 ‘daw modes’ and only 1 of them is currently connected. So only 1 of those modes function as a Mackie Controller. The other 2 modes are free to use as simple midi controllers.

1 Like