Map a range of (MIDI controller) values to an action

Hi all

Bit new to this so go easy on me!

I wish to map a range of MIDI controller values to a single key command, so for example
‘‘When MIDI controller 10 value is greater than 0 but less than 10, perform the following action.’’

I can see how to map a MIDI controller single value to a key command, just not a range.

TIA

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Please find the attached. The key is setting the input value to a local variable (in this case qq) and then using rules to evaluate the value. If the value is out of range, we do nothing.

Map-CC10-Range-0-9 only.bmtp (907 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Great - thanks!
So to map the other ‘zones’ of cc10 values I would map each one to a different local variable, then for each have a rule that defines the zone something like:
if 19>rr>9 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
??
Couple of newbie questions then:
Why did you go with qq as your local variable of choice as opposed the first one in the list?
Where’s a good place to learn the rules syntax?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

For a range greater than 5 and less than 10, rules would look like this.

if qq<6 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
if qq>9 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

It is a matter of preference, for me I try to use oo for the status byte or MIDI channel, pp for the note or cc number and qq for the note velocity of cc value. I use this convention do this so I don’t have to second guess myself in my translators.

The Bome User Manual. Press F1 or go to the help menu within MT Pro and the manual will open up as a PDF document.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Great answers thanks. Good to know re qq - yes that makes sense as a typical MIDI message will be in the format: channel, cc, value so qq for the 3rd variable.
Much appreciated.

1 Like

A further question if I may - so if I have set up say 16 translators each mapped to a different cc value range, but all with the same CC#, is there an easy way to change the CC# for all 16 in one go? Select all and edit the field only seems to edit the last one in the list.
Many thanks

Hi,

There is currently no way to do editing of multiple translators at the same time.
You can, however if you like, use raw MIDI as input and then rules to determine the range and the manipulate the output accordingly using variables. This is if you want always the same outgoing action to the same MIDI port. For different outgoing actions, you still need different translators.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like