Mapping faders Akai APC40 to NI Maschine mixer

Been spending some time to find a way to have the faders of my akai apc40 mk2 as mixer controller for NI maschine’s software mixer. When i start the learn function in maschine all the faders of the APC40mk2 send out cc7.
I can t figure out how to make maschine learn separate assignments for every fader. I was wondering why bitwig and ableton see the faders as separate controllerknobs and maschine does not. Is this where Bome software could help?
Are there any users that were able to get this working with Bome? I am not very experienced with midi cc’s……
The demo of Bome is a bit overwhelming for me……

Hope someone can give me some input on this.

Thanks
Kind regards Jane

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

My guess is your Maschine cannot determine MIDI channel as the APC-40 sends the faders all on CC7 but on a different MIDI channel.

Please find the attached project file. It has a single translator, that converts the first faders to CC0-CC7 on MIDI Channel 1 and the master fader which is CC14 to CC8 on MIDI channel 1. I’m sure your Maschine will have an easier time learning this.

I set up my aliases as follows, but you will want to adjust your output to your Maschine instead of Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port. (I don’t have a Maschine).

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

For the first 8 faders we don’t use rules but we convert the incoming MIDI channel (which I set to variable oo), to the outgoing cc but we retain the value (qq). We send everything on MIDI Channel 1

For the master fader, it sends CC14 on MIDI channel 1 so I simply use a rule to convert CC14 to CC8 but leave the output on MIDI channel 1. Again we pass the value of qq through.

APC-40-Fader-Conversion.bmtp (1.1 KB)

There are a lot of tutorials on how to use Bome MIDI Translator Pro. I invite you to take a look here.

I understand that Bome MIDI Translator Pro might be a bit daunting at first as it is a very powerful tool. Don’t hesitate to ask questions if the tutorial or the user manual (which can be accessed in the MT Pro Help Menu or F1) isn’t enough.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hello Steve, thank you so much. This worked!
Guess i ll have to purchase your software now to keep this working.:blush:

I was wondering if your program could help me in conversion of the NRPN messages
of the knobs of my alesis andromeda to mid cc so i can map them as controllers for softsynths in Logic or Ableton?

Looking forward to hear from you on this.

Kind regards
Jane

Yes, Bome MIDI Translator Pro can convert NRPN to CC messages albeit, you might lose a bit of precision since NRPN is 14 bit and CC is 7 bit.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thats great to hear. Would there be a preset for that too?
If not……Can it be done without to having advanced expertise in programming Bome?

Anyway……i will watch some tutorials. Maybe I can get some grip on it.

Hi,
If you can capture MIDI for one of the encoders into the Bome MIDI Translator Log window and send it to me, I should be able to assist you in creating a translator for that encoder along with what you would need to do to create similar ones on your own.

To open the log window click on this icon in the upper right corner.

Then select your APC-40 as your input device.

And select MIDI IN below the log window and move your knob. It would help if you annotate the log with the direction you were turning the knob.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I have one more question…… The apc40 volume faders work great now in NI Maschine but would it be possible to have an extended preset for the apc40mk2 that also sends out the 8 separate channel’s panning cc’s for 8 channels in maschine?

I tried to understand the programming procedure and try to do it myself but that is a bit too ambitious for now I think.
The learning curve is quite high in the beginning….

Probably but I would need to know what MIDI the Maschine is looking for. I would recommend that we use the knobs at the top instead of faders for panning. The only thing I found in the manual has to do with MIDI learn. Did you try using MIDI learn from the knobs along the top?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes i did try the midi learn function for the pan knobs in Maschine. All APC 40 panning knobs send out cc00 so i can only map one knob. It always sticks to the last mapped knob just like before with the faders. Hope you have a solution. Thanks a lot.

OK, I added a few rules to ignore other incoming CC (not CC7 or 14) messages and added a default MIDI route for other MIDI that is not using the translator. You should be able to use MIDI learn on them now.

// Send through faders
if pp==7 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
if pp==14 then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
// ignore anything that is not cc7 or cc 14 (faders)
exit rules, skip Outgoing Action

APC-40-Fader-Conversion-a.bmtp (1.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you so much Steve.
That worked.
I had to adapt a few things in the router and experimented a bit with checking boxes in the midi in and out page. Slowly learning more things about Bome. :slight_smile: watching tutorials helped a lot of course.

Very encouraging for later on when I have time to try to change andromeda nrpn into cc message.
I hope you can guide me in the process by then again.

Kind regards

Yes, with such a powerful tool it can be a bit of a learning curve. That is why we are here to help.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care