Media Controls locked to program

Is it possible to lock windows media controls to youtube? The transport controls on a gaming keyboard. They execute play, stop, previous, next for whatever media is ‘loaded’ in windows. (The current media playing or most recent)

The problem is it also executes transport in FL Studio. Or anywhere else that can receive these messages, if it is focused on screen.
I can make the keyboard send messages to MTP, so is there a way for a translator to say to execute only with a target program, and numb all other ones?

Hi,

Media controls are pretty much in control of the operating system and or certain applications. In generally they are set up as global scope so unless you find a way to undefine them and then re-define the within only a given scope then there is not much else you can do. You might try playing around with AutoHotKey to see if that works. Maybe redefine Medial Controls to actually suppress the media controls keystrokes and replace them with something else.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

I would love for that to work, but I need YouTube Music running in the background.
That’s the problem. It can be controlled with hotkeys, but it has to be focused for them to work. Their hotkeys also interfere with FLS etc.

I’ve been around the block; tried everything humanly possible.
MTP inject events can’t do it.
iCue macro software can’t do it.
Google chrome flags can’t do it.
Windows sound settings can’t do it.
AutoHotkey can’t do it.
VoiceMeeter can’t do it.
YouTube Music hotkeys are device specific, so they can’t do it.
YouTube Music staff couldn’t help.
Microsoft is entirely incompetent.

Nobody seems to understand why someone might want media controls to control only one program at a time. FLS can be controlled with the spacebar and MIDI inputs.
I’m just going to give up on it.

Hi,

MT Pro appears to be working so this looks like it is more of a Windows problem. I could play around with it using AutoHotKey to see if I can find a solution, however this would be beyond the scope of Bome Support.

When sending keys to Youtube assuming you are using Google Chrome, then google Chrome would need focus. When sending them to FLS, then FLS would need focus. When sending to to Windows as a global hotkey, I belive you would need focus on windows explorer.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

I was able to successfully change the application focus between FL Studio and Chrome and then use the space bar to play/pause in that application.

Did you see this? It might help as well.

1 Like

Here are some controls that youtube uses instead of the Media controls.

• Spacebar or [k]: Play / Pause
  • Arrow Left: Jump back 5 seconds in the current video
  • Arrow Right: Jump ahead 5 seconds in the current video
  • Arrow Up: Volume up
  • Arrow Down: Volume Down
  • [f]: Toggle full-screen display
  • [j]: Jump back 10 seconds in the current video
  • [l]: Jump ahead 10 seconds in the current video
  • [m]: Mute or unmute the video
  • [0-9]: Jump to a point in the video. 0 jumps to the beginning of the video, 1 jumps to the point 10% into the video, 2 jumps to the point 20% into the video, and so forth.

Found on this page:

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Oh wow. You definitely did go way above and beyond the scope of this forum.
You just helped me more with YouTube than Youtube staff did.
Best tech support ever. I’ll investigate down these roads immediately.

Thanks for the good words! I’m always interested in helping others find solutions to their needs. I hope that this path pans out for you.

Steve