MIDI guitar to game controller

So I have a Jamstik MIDI guitar and I want to use it as a game controller. So far i have WASD movement implemented smoothly but the pitch up/down and turn left/right is getting the better of me. Can anyone recommend how I may use note on/off messages to control what would be the equivalent of a right stick on a game controller.

Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to the new forum!

Unfortunately MT Pro does not send joystick actions. You would need some sort of external software to convert from MIDI, keystrokes or mouse action to joystick movements. If you are on Windows, you might want to look into AutoHotKey.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Steve,

The mouse movement option in Bome would be fine if it functioned consistently. As is, when I turn a MIDI note on event into any amount of mouse movement (1-100+ pixels), it just snaps my view in-game to my feet. I have tried this with three different video games. In the best case scenario during my testing, horizontal axis movement increments were being replicated accurately while vertical axis movements would be scaled by quite a bit. Usually however, any horizontal or vertical mouse input through Bome just snapped the view straight to my feet. Have you any insight as to why this many be happening?

chiming in with some technical info: mouse emulation in MT Pro is always using absolute positioning, even if you select “relative”. It retrieves the current mouse position, offsets it by the given relative amount, and then sets the new mouse position. The reason is that for relative movement, Windows applies the mouse settings regarding acceleration and speed. So it would behave differently for every user. Now I realize that if you only need relative movement, absolute positioning could interfere. Especially because Windows does not allow pixel positioning of the mouse, but on a virtual 65536x65536 unit global desktop. MT Pro needs to map that to the actual monitor resolution.

If you can share your project file, I can take a look for you.

Steve

jamstik to fps.bmtp (7.3 KB)

This video explains the context and shows the results

OK, some games bypass mouse/keyboard drivers. You might want to try:

1.Sending the output as an injected window even to your game

1. Seeing if your game can be set up to use keystrokes instead of mouse events

3 Send the outgoing event as a keystroke and then see if something like AutoHotKey can translate that into a mouse or joystick movement

For injected events, they will not work with Java based applications in most cases as Java doesn’t expose controls the way normal Windows applications do.

I tested the mouse movements on my Windows 10 computer and they all shows just a pixel or 2 off. from what I expected, usually on the Y-Axis.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Sadly, options 1 & 2 are not working. Option 3 seems feasible however I know nothing about scripting and that creates another can of worms for me. I am a gui guy…

OK,
If interested, reach out to me via email and I can write a script for you, however it is beyond the scope of Bome Standard Support so I would be acting in an independent role for paid services.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve,
I sent an email.

I have, since I sent the email, tried it in a game where I find it works perfectly as is. I am now under the impression that anti-cheat detection software is the problem. Different games have different definitions of what kind of input is flagged as cheating. I think there is just no way around it for certain games, and for everything else, Bome already works. I may not need that script after all, it might just get me banned.

OK, then it still may work with MT Pro if you slow down your mouse movements. I assume the game does not expect you to aim so fast.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care