Midi mapping 2d tablet surfaces with bome

Hi,

Super excited to start exploring Bome possibilities.

I have been working with midi and music for about a year now with a squarp pyramid sequencer, a keith mcmillen kmix mixer and a bastle kastl midi looper.

I have a project in mind and I am saving to purchase the bome box and the midi translater pro software after watching your tutotials and seeing loopop’s youtube tutorial.

I would like to work with trackpads or any 2 dimensional type surfaces and assign cc values and ranges to coordinates. I hope to assign sound variables to each axis. i.e. pitch to x axis and arpeggiator rate to y axis or functions therein among several variables. the pyramid squarp functions in this way but i need it larger in size closer to 8 inches by 8 inches and allow for more precision and programmable presets either with stylus or touch.

Does anyone here have suggestions for alternative hardware appropriate to this use case with bome products. I see the mouse keyboard scripts in Bome litterature and maybe these methods can be applied to bounded rectangular forms?

Thanks so much for taking the time!

Hi, I’m not aware of any such size tables that send MIDI data. I’ve seen trackpads (smaller) that send HID (mouse) data but that is about it. Maybe there are some drawing pads available that do the same. It sounds like there might be some development needed in the world of HID interfaces that can convert to MIDI to make this all work. Right now I’m not aware of anything available other than some MIDI controllers have small track pads that do this already, but as you say, you are looking for something more like 8x8 inches. Once you find something that can send MIDI data, then it is fairly simple to use MT Pro (running on either BomeBox or Compute) to tie this MIDI information to any parameter you need.

Also if there is hardware that can take this data and send it a serial data, we might be able to help here as both BomeBox and MT Pro support serial data connectios.

Sorry if I’m not much help.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Steve,

Thanks so much for the prompt and informative response. In this case I will try to use smaller trackpads of somekind with bome box and software.

Thanks again for the information.

You may want to look into this. If it sends MIDI, perhaps you could use Bome Network on an iPad to send the MIDI over to BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

The above application would not work for me but I was able to create an XY layout with Touch OSC on my iPad and then use Bome Network to send MIDI to my computer over Bome Network. In my case I used CC3 and CC4 on MIDI CH 1 for my X and Y axis respectively.

1907: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 27
1908: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 36
1909: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 27
1910: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 35
1911: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 27
1912: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 33
1913: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 27
1914: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 32
1915: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 27
1916: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 31
1917: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 27
1918: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 30
1919: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 26
1920: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 2F
1921: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 04 26
1922: MIDI IN [Steves-iPAD]: B0 03 2F

I just created a layout shown below (single XY) and it takes up about 6 x 6 inches on my iPad.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve,

Thanks so much for all this information and the time you have taken. I can’t wait to implement and experiment with it.

Thanks!

Yes, it was really fun testing this out and now I realize with an iPad I can do this. There a a few controllers out there that have XY pads that send MIDI and can also be helpful. I have a Samson Conspiracy controller that has this functionality.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care