MIDI over ethernet / iconnectivity mioXM -> Bomebox?

Hi all

I’m putting together a new stage setup and need to distribute a single MIDI port over ethernet from an iConnectivity mioXM (all the DIN ports are in use elsewhere).

The smallest interface iC offer is a half-rack, 4-in-4-out one which seems a bit overkill considering I need to use just one channel to send the occasional midi CC.

iC devices support MIDI over ethernet - I was wondering, if I patch a Bomebox into the mioXM via ethernet cable, will they be able to ‘speak’ to each other / are they speaking the same MIDI language? Or do I need a Bomebox at either end of the equation? If so that would be less than ideal as I’m running a dual laptop rig where all MIDI and audio connections are duplicated in case of failover (using the PlayAudio12 as the master unit to handle switching).

Many thanks,

John

Hi, thanks for your question.

No mioXM ethernet MIDI is RTP-MIDI and BomeBox ethernet is Bome Network. I suggest you run a USB cable from your mioXM device port to the BomeBox host port. That should expose all mioXM ports to BomeBox and then you would have t he choice of using either RTP-MIDI over network for any RTP-MIDI devices in your network or Bome Network for any devices using Bome Network. You could also hook mioXM device port to a computer and use the computer as a bridge between RTP-MIDI and BomeNetwork.

Perhaps at some future date Bome will add RTP-MIDI as another protocol for BomeBox, but there are no definitive dates for this functionality.

This is what I use to get additional DIN port on my BomeBox. I think I paid about 25 USD for it. I use Bome Network exclusively on my setup. Occasionally I hook up my iConnectivity MIDI4+ for testing other client’s setup but for the most part, it is now gathering dust.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for the reply Steve. I think I’ll go with the USB then yes, sounds sensible. Cheers!