Midi Translator - Pre-purchase question: Conversion of incoming midi clock BPM through bomebox

Hi there,

Just a quick pre-sales question about Midi translator running on a bome box:

Is it possible to take the incoming midi clock BPM, reduce it by a specific number of BPM and output the resulting BPM to a specific computer connected via bome network midi ?

For example, the incoming BPM on the bomebox input port would be 120 BPM, midi translator should reduce this BPM by 4 and output 116 BPM to a specific computer on the bome network.

Is this possible?

Many thanks!

Hi @Toby

Unfortunately the precision of MT Pro is in milliseconds (whether on computer or BomeBox) so adjusting incoming MIDI clocks for exact BPM is not always possible. It is best to use a reliable adjustable BPM clock source that has the precision that you need and then in BomeBox set up a static MIDI route to the device you want to operate at that BPM.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve, thanks for your answer.

Maybe I can give you a little more information about what I’m trying to achieve? I actually own two BomeBoxes (one on stage and one at our FOH mixer). The FOH Bome receives midi clock as well as midi patch changes and routes them to our stage equipment and also to Waves LV1 (software mixer) @ FOH which should run tempo-based effects. The problem is that for whatever reason, LV1 registers the incoming midi clock around 4-5 BPM faster than what it’s actually receiving. I’ve notified Waves about this and they admit it’s a bug, but seem to be taking their time to fix it.

In the meantime I had hoped I could somehow offset the incoming (correct) midi clock and feed it to LV1.

The reason I can’t globally adjust the midi clock from the source is that all other devices in the setup receive the clock correctly, it’s only LV1 that needs adjusted midi clock.

Maybe you have a suggestion?

Many thanks,

Not unless Waves LV1 can do it’s own internal MIDI clocking and maybe we send some sort of MIDI message to signal the Waves to resync it’s internal clock.

This seems to be a pretty serious issue. I wish I had a better workaround. Maybe Waves can provide a workaround until this can get fixed?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

You might look into the MIDI Hub.

Documentation about clock

It can generate it’s own clock at a given BPM, Maybe you can use MT Pro or BomeBox to signal it to start and stop clock at a different BPM.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks for putting me onto the MIDI Hub, it looks like an interesting device, which might work.

The LV1 bug is certainly a serious one. I hope waves fixes it soon.

The other idea I had was to use a USAMO (Expert Sleepers - USAMO) fed with the adjusted tempos from a spare audio channel on the Cymatic uTrack 24 which is driving the show (where the correct Midi clock is coming from). This midi signal could be fed directly into LV1 via a separate usb midi interface. I -think- I can select a second midi interface in LV1, have to check the manual.

One other question, can MT Pro remove or filter Midi Clock from a midi signal? If so, I could then replace the midi clock with the adjusted midi clock from the USAMO, keeping all other midi information from the original midi signal in tact.

Yes, it is quite easy to filter MIDI clock messages with a project file running on computer or BomeBox.

Just a single translator with clock in as the trigger and no outgoing action.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok, that sounds like it might work.

Unfortunately Waves replied and said they still aren’t sure when the bug will be fixed and couldn’t suggest any current work-around. Oh well, let’s see.

Thanks a lot for your help Steve!

Of course,

You might want to ask Blokus if it would work for your use case for the MIDI Hub. They have a forum for this at blokus.io

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care