MIDI Translator Pro - Virtual Port limit

Hi, In short I wonder if I’m missing something with MTP’s limit of 9 virtual ports, as I’m seemingly able to create an infinite amount in Bome Network.

My current use case is taking MIDI controller input/outputs and switching routing between different aliases/virtual ports. Currently this is between mac and iPad, in future many more. For simplicity’s sake I’m using one alias/virtual port per controller/program and can only create the amount of virtual ports necessary in Bome Network.

Is this intentional or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Supplementary - it’d be dead nice to just be able to change MIDI network routings directly. Tips welcomed!

Yes Bome MIDI Translator Pro has 9 virtual input and 9 virtual output ports (for a total of 18 ports)
At this point, if you need more virtual ports, you would need to use Bome Unlimited Named Ports which is an addon to Bome Network (whether you use the networking features or not).

With Bome Network, you would need to create one virtual port for each input and one virtual port for each output needed. You would then need to set up routing for the virtual ports for instance ‘IN: My Port → OUT:MyPort’ to create a pipe between the endpoints.

I know that there have been requests in the past for more virtual ports in Bome MIDI Translator Pro itself (before Bome Network existed), but am not sure of the status of the request. I will check and see if it is still planned.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi,

I agree that changing Unlimited Named Virtual Port routing, without the current Bome Network User Interface would be nice. I think it might be teed up for a future enhancement.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hey Steve, it would be great to have the following

1. the ability to edit names with that ‘edit’ button on Bome Network, unless I’m missing something (os x, latest). Bit of an ‘ehh?’

2. The ability to create virtual ports with translators

3. A trigger for when a new port is detected. That would make my routing engine into a monster.

4. Multiple Outgoing actions - would streamline things quite a lot but I can imagine quite an overhaul

Yes, that would be nice

Another interesting idea

There is a trigger for port open, port closed, port available. Any supported outgoing action will work. There are outgoing actions to create routes, delete routes, enable routes and disable routes in MT Pro.

Check out the new ‘Perform’ rule released earlier this week.

I’ll ensure your requests are reviewed.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care