Midi usb extender

Hi there. I am trying to find something that, in my head, sounded really simple. Turns out that it is a lot more complicated so let’s see if you can help. I am using an AKAI apc mini. This is a box standard midi usb controller. I am using it to control a video media server. The tablet connects to the media server via a usb cable and that is that, job done. Now the problem is that the video media server is backstage and I need to be front of house. Since I am using a fancy kvm extender (over cat 5) I connected the tablet to the extender and it didn’t work. So I started looking for something that converts the midi usb signal into something cat 5 , travels through a couple of switches and then comes out to another adapter that will connect to the media server via usb. Will the bone box do that? If so, I will need to boxes correct. Turns out to be a very expensive solution. Is there something you can suggest?

Many thanks
Best
Miguel

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

By tablet, do you mean the APC-MINI controller?

Is your KVM extender a USB extender over CAT 5 or is it actually ethernet?

By CAT5 and switches do you mean ethernet or just the CAT5 cable type. CAT5 is just a cable spec and is one that ethernet sometimes uses but there are other uses outside of ethernet for CAT5. Just because it is CAT5 doesn’t mean it is ethernet.

The BomeBox is a USB host, ethernet and WiFI. You can connect your APC-MINI to the ethernet port and then either use WiFi or ethernet send to your media server. If your Media Server is on Windows or Mac platform then you can use Bome Network to receive MIDI signals from a device attached to your BomeBox.

I hope this helps!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve and many thanks for your wonderful and prompt reply

By tablet, do you mean the APC-MINI controller?

Yes I call the APC MINI “tablet”

Is your KVM extender a USB extender over CAT 5 or is it actually ethernet?

It is an ADDERLINK XD1P (https://www.adder.com/en/kvm-solutions/adderlink-xdip). I suppose that it is actually ethernet as it carries not just USB but also video signals

By CAT5 and switches do you mean ethernet or just the CAT5 cable type. CAT5 is just a cable spec and is one that ethernet sometimes uses but there are other uses outside of ethernet for CAT5. Just because it is CAT5 doesn’t mean it is ethernet.

I suppose I mean ethernet with Ct 5 as its means of transportation

The BomeBox is a USB host, ethernet and WiFI. You can connect your APC-MINI to the ethernet port and then either use WiFi or ethernet send to your media server. If your Media Server is on Windows or Mac platform then you can use Bome Network to receive MIDI signals from a device attached to your BomeBox.

So in this scenario, I would have to install BOME NETWORK on the media server? It is not recommended at all by the server manufacturer to install anything in order to maintain performance. Machine has to play large video formats and a lot of them so it is already doing a lot of work :wink:

I was looking for a solution EXACTLY like the KVM Extender, i.e, to keep the USB interfaces on both ends

Thank you very much for your wonderful reply. It cleared a few points already!

Cheers

Miguel

The BomeBox has a USB host port but not a USB device port, so you would need to load Bome Network on your media server. The traffic (MIDI Traffic) it passes is no more than it would pass over USB so I doubt if it would effect performance.

If you want a BomeBox at both ends, I guess you could get a MIDI DIN to USB adapter on the media server end but then you need 2 BomeBoxes. Using ethernet on your media server, you would only need 1 BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve

Many many thanks for your enlightening answers. Picture is clear now and I can finally understand how to proceed forward.

Best

Miguel

1 Like