MIDIBuddy setup, using a MIDI instrument as a videogame controller or joystick

Hello Steve!

First of all, thanks for creating such great software like Bome MIDI Translator and MIDIBuddy!

I am using MIDIBuddy; the goal would be to be able to use a MIDI instrument as a video game controller. This means that when I play a note the program should be able to press a button or move a stick in the controller.

The first thing I do is make sure that Windows 10 detects the controller, and I check it from the Windows control panel.

I then go to the templates provided with the MIDI Buddy, and use the template called “MIDIBuddy Joystick”.

In the “Incoming” part, I write a MIDI Message, Note On, the note I want to use and the velocity. But at the next points of “Rules” and “Outgoing” I get lost, and I don’t know how to continue with the SysEx.

Could you help me continue with the rest of the process?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

First of all, let me explain a bit. I didn’t create Bome MIDI Translator Pro. I am a customer of Bome Corporation and also do support for them.

I did create MIDIBuddy, however. As a user, I wanted something that was “mouse aware” when using Bome MIDI Translator Pro, so I created MIDIBuddy. I also decided to include the ability to generate MIDI messages using a game controller.

For game controller, MIDIBuddy can read the joystick to generate MIDI (or any other outgoing action that Bome MIDI Translator Pro supports), but it cannot emulate (write) joystick commands since joystick outgoing actions in MT Pro are not supported.

Consequently, you could use a game controller as a MIDI instrument or generate mouse or keystroke outgoing actions but not the other way around.
There may be applications that can do this. MIDI2Joy comes to mind. But I have never had any experience with them.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi again Steve!

Thanks for the clarification.

Just one more thing; so I guess MIDIBuddy can’t do the same thing with a mouse, right? I mean, by playing a MIDI instrument you can make the mouse moves.

Thank you!

Hi, with Bome MIDI Translator Pro, you can translate playing a MIDI instrument into outgoing mouse moves or clicks.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz