Missing Midi Device not set to 'Pending' - instead asking to assign every time?

Any Idea why it keeps asking me to assign to assign this instrument. Isn’t it supposed to list this as pending like everything else. I’m not sure what’s different about this. Thank you.

Hi, in the dropdown, there is an option (none - don’t ask again), that you can use so that you will no longer be prompted. Did you try that?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve. Yes I did that but fore some reason this does not set it to ‘pending’. Just seems to ignore the device all together. Functions and routings don’t execute even when it comes online later.

Hi, if it is pending, of course it will not work either. If you are on Windows, there must be something else opening your MIDI port and only one program will be able to access a given MIDI port at a time. Do you have other applications running that may have this port open?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hmm, it looks like “Prophet 12 keyboard” may be an alias to an actual device, did you assign this to the physical device?

Aliases are generally setup so you can give your on internal names to physical devices that might change as you move things around in your configuration.

For instances, say your Prophet 12 is attached to a MIDI DIN port (Say “DIN1”), then you could assign “Prophet 12 Keyboard” to DIN1.

Later if you connect it to DIN2, then you simply reassign “Prophet 12 Keyboard” to DIN2 and anything you have that is received from “Prophet 12 Keyboard” in your project file will still work without having to fix a bunch of translators.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi, if it is pending, of course it will not work either.

Thanks Steve, I needed a good laugh. I understand the technical aspects but it does seem that MT is not handling this device as it does other ones. I’ll probably put another MIO XL in to host usb devices this should solve the problem.

As I said, it is likely an alias to the physical device so it will not show as pending unless you tie the alias to the physical device you are using. Glad you had a good laugh!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes absolutely. But even after deleting out of MT it shows up as ‘not assigned’ instead of pending unlike any of the other devices. Meaning when it does come online none of the commands/routings are working. We tried the same thing with an alias last week so we’re just stumped with that one. Maybe there is a preference file that’s messed up.

Created Aliases will always show up until you reset all MIDI aliases in MT Pro. Then if your project file has any unknown port names defined, it will think it is an alias and prompt you.
Got to Settings and then click Remove MIDI Aliases. If you still get prompted after that, then somewhere in your project file you are using that removed alias as an input or output definition and it prompts you to assign the alias.

Maybe I should look at your project file.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

In a nutshell:

If there are any port names (inputs or outputs) defined in a given project file that do match a real port name, then MT Pro assumes it must be an alias and prompts you to assign it. If you are not using it in your project, you can set up ignore. If you are using it, then you need to assign it. Any ignored ports will not show as pending. Pending is for ports that are real that cannot be opened (whether using an assigned alias or a real port name).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve. I’m probably not explaining right what the issue is here. It’s not a big deal since I can always route it through a static IAC without issues. We did a reset here on the DAW 1 which didn’t solve the issue. Other ports use identical functions and no popups asking to assign on every startup are happening.

Yes, maybe I’m not understanding but in a nutshell, if a port doesn’t exist, it will never show as pending. You can however set up a translator to assign an alias to a physical port when the physical port becomes available (with version 1.9.0). Then you should be able to set the alias to “none don’t ask again” and when the physical port comes on line have the translator assign it. I haven’t tried this but it should work.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I just tested my theory and it seems to work. In this case I assign the alias “MyMIO”
to the physical device “mio MIDI IN”.

If I start the project without the device connected it starts but of course nothing can be received from it.

MIDI INPUT ‘mio MIDI IN’ does not exist. It is set to ‘pending’.

Then when I plug the real device in:
MIDI INPUT ‘mio MIDI IN’ now successfully opened.

519976 - Discovered MIDI INPUT : mio MIDI IN
519976 - Discovered MIDI OUTPUT: mio MIDI OUT
519977 - IN 0.0 Plugged in MIDI INPUT “mio MIDI IN”
mio-port-assign-test.bmtp (752 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care