Mouse Wheel with a MIDI Encoder

hi all i followed this tutorial, Tutorial: Controlling a Mouse Wheel with a MIDI Encoder using Bome MIDI Translator - YouTube but after repeated tests only 1 note works and i don’t understand how to make it work properly.
I use Xtouchmini and the potentiometer is endless, only extremes on the left and right work because turning to infinity they always repeat the same note, but the whole range in the middle of the potentiometer is empty it doesn’t work, how can I solve? thank you

Hi,

Yes, the example I posted was related to the MIDI Fighter Twister which sends a value of 65 (0x41) for right movement and 63 (0x3F) for left movement.

If you put your X-Touch MINI into Mackie Mode, encoders send a value of 01 for positive movement and 65 (0x41) for negative movement.

I have included a project file for the X-Touch MINI in Mackie Mode for the first knob. If you put it into Layer Mode, I would recommend you set it for a relative encoder and modify the incoming CC and value to the controller you have programmed for a given knob. There are 3 relative modes there.

Relative 1 - 01/7F with increment
Relative 2 - 3F/41 with increment
Relative 3 - 01/41 (VPOT) with increment

Relative 2 will behave like the MIDI Fighter Twister
Relative 3 will behave like Mackie MCU Mode
Relative 1 can be programmed with 01 as increment and 0x7f (127) as decrement.

Encoder-to-Mouse-Wheel.bmtp (1.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

perfect Steve works great!

if you didn’t tell me to put in Mackie Mode by myself I would never get there … where can I find this information?

ok this was a test to try, now my final task is to control PTZ cameras with Vmix, I thought of using this tutorial, I find it a bit complicated but I try.

if you know the software and understand what I want to do, how do you advise me to proceed?

I thought I would use the potentiometers to adjust the PTZ speed and with the normal keys do right left up and down (pan-tilt) …

thanks Michele

------ Messaggio originale ------

I forgot to write: do I follow this tutorial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHzJZ0r7NDE

The user manual is somewhere along this path:

It really depends on how the software works, if mouse scrolling does it, you can use that but I doubt if it is all done with scrolling. left to right may require mouse movement instead.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

perfect thanks for the answers,

I managed to create a translator that goes from the potentiometer to the audio slider of the program, everything works, in out I have key stroke and capture target in windows … the problem is: too slow, how can I change the speed of the potentiometer? even if I run fast on the software it moves slowly …

thank you very much

Michele

Could you post the project file? What I would do is a strategy the uses a timer to send a series of keystrokes (instead of one) on each MIDI event.

So say you turn the knob 1 to the right or 1 to the left, you start a repeating timer that sends 5 keystrokes for right and 5 other keystrokes for left.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve for the reply,

I’m using the demo version to do some tests, if everything works, I’ll buy the software …

I arrive immediately at my final goal …

I have a control unit for PTZ cameras with joystick and many buttons for zoom etc. etc., this control unit has an RS 422 and RS 232 output (5 outputs for 5 cameras)

do you think I can interface the control unit with a hardware cable (rs 422 or 232 USB) BOME software and control my VMIX software?

in the VMIX software there is a tab where by moving the mouse I control the PTZ camera in all the functions I need, but as you understand it is very inconvenient …

Thank you

Michele

Yes, if you get a USB to RS232 or USB to RS422 adapter, and know the commands that your console needs, you can convert MIDI to serial. I’ve test this with a USB to RS232 adapter before. I remember a customer doing something similar with a camera control console before so I know it can be done.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care