Mouse Wheel

Hi all,
I’m following a youtube video from the Bome Software channel about using an encoder to control the mouse wheel. I followed the steps but it seems like it is only controlling the mouse wheel when the knob is turned to a specific number. Instead of just up/down. I’m actually using a midi device with potentiometers, not encoders, so could that be the issue?
Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

You can do it with absolute values (potentiometers), however the issue will come when you get to the end in each direction. There are ways to work around it, however, but it is not optimal. Here are a few ways to deal with the end stops.

1. If you bump against an end, use a button to disable the output while you move the pot back to center, then release the button when you want the mouse to move again.
  2. Set your knob up to send a repeating timer from the center position. If you move right of center, the timer sends increment messages until you bring it back to center. If you move left of center, the timer sends decrement messages until you put it back to center.

Again, ideally, it is better if you use a controller that has encoders that can send relative values. If you want to proceed with this controller, pick the method you want for dealing with end stops and I can show you an example.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for the detailed response! I’ll just get a controller with encoder knobs instead and go from there.

1 Like

Sounds good!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz