MTP-No MIDI Device Connections After Activating Win 10 from Sleep Or Hibernation

As the topic title says when Win 10 is reactivated from the sleep or hibernation mode Bome MIDI Translator Pro has lost the connections to the MIDI devices and there doesn't appear to be any way to reconnect the devices without doing a full restart.

Is there a work-around of fix for this?

thanks

Hi,

This is usually a function of the operating system. On Windows 10 device manager, go to the USB hub that your devices are attached and then to the Power Management tab.  Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  This should solve it albeit as a side effect, it still may cause more drain on you battery when going into sleep mode.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Attachments:
![](upload://4loQoXcvNhPpiyLQMbtdkqj0ik2.png)

Turned off the "Allow computer..." on every USB device I could find in the list. The problem is still there.

Now the power supply in this new desktop PC does not shut off power to the USB devices when the OS goes into sleep or hibernation mode. So the MIDI keyboard and and drum pad are still 'alive'.

These two MIDI devices are over a decade old and while the M-Audio driver installed without error in the Win10 environment it may be that the driver is not fully compliant with Win10. Just a thought.

Possibly related problem? MTP is part the startup list for Win10 but fails to fully start about 20% of the time and then cannot be started manually. Computer has to be restarted.

These two MIDI devices are over a decade old and while the M-Audio driver installed without error in the Win10 environment it may be that the driver is not fully compliant with Win10. Just a thought.

SJC> This is possibly the problem. The Win10 default drivers are class compliant and many of the older 3rd party drivers are not. I've even had experience with some drivers (specifically Korg), making other MIDI ports completely disappear. Consequently, I never load third party MIDI drivers and only use the Win10 driver and do not experience these issues. I recommend you de-install any third party drivers for a while and see if the problem goes away. The main issue you may face is your old M-Audio device may no longer work.

The startup issue may also be related to incompatible drivers. Again, I've never experienced any problems as long as I use Win10 MIDI USB drivers only.

Another thing to try is to go to Device manager and remove the MIDI USB ports and then let Windows re-discover them (without 3rd party drivers loaded) and see if this helps. Sometimes Windows 10 likes to hold on to a remembered port and it's old settings.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Deleted the M-Audio driver for the KSP (Keystation Pro) and TF (Trigger Finger).
After restarting the KSP & TF work with MTP once the correct Project Default MIDI ports have been selected.
MTP has been through several sleep or hibernation cycles without any problems.
The downside: the Enigma preset editor for these devices cannot connect to them.
And I haven't had any MTP failed startups since the old driver was removed.

>> remove the MIDI USB ports <<
And as you noted there are many left over versions of the devices visible in the Device Manager.
I found then in 3 categories in the Device Manager:
Software Devices:
- 3 instances of KSP.
- 2 instances of TF.
- 2 instances of every BMT virtual MIDI port.
- 2 instances of a generic MIDI device which I assume are the Win 10 default ports created for the KSP and TF.
Sound Video & Game Controllers:
- one instance each of the KSP, TF and BMT virtual ports.
USB Controllers:
- various USB devices only some of which have the power management option that was turned off earlier (Allow computer...)
- I cannot easily tell which device the KSP and TF are physically connected to.
So what do I delete?

Cockos Reaper is as confused as MTP. It shows multiple versions of the KSP and TF and had to be updated to use the correct one.
Ableton LIVE is even more confused it only display one instance each of KSP & TF and it's the wrong one.

Thanks for all you help in fixing this problem.
If nothing else it has been an interesting introduction to how Windows manages devices.

And as you noted there are many left over versions of the devices visible in the Device Manager.
I found then in 3 categories in the Device Manager:
Software Devices:
- 3 instances of KSP.
- 2 instances of TF.
- 2 instances of every BMT virtual MIDI port.
- 2 instances of a generic MIDI device which I assume are the Win 10 default ports created for the KSP and TF.
Sound Video & Game Controllers:
- one instance each of the KSP, TF and BMT virtual ports.
USB Controllers:
- various USB devices only some of which have the power management option that was turned off earlier (Allow computer...)
- I cannot easily tell which device the KSP and TF are physically connected to.
So what do I delete?

SJC> Well troubleshooting Windows issues is generally outside the scope of Bome Support so I would suggest you look at the MICROSOFT SITE to determine how to properly remove old drivers. I\'ve had luck with the following, however the disclaimer is I CANNOT GUARANTEE THIS WILL NOT BREAK SOMETHING SO BEST TO CHECK WITH MICROSOFT SUPPORT HERE.

What I would do is delete all MIDI devices and Software Devices in Device Manager and then reboot the PC and let Windows re-discover them always selecting the standard Windows Driver when prompted. It is typical to have 2 software devices per MIDI port (one for in and one for out).

Another, idea is to look at the unique UUID for the working drivers to determine which ones need to be removed. This is sometimes an exercise in frustration matching UUID\'s.

Once ports are removed and then re-discovered, you may need to re-install Bome MT Pro to recreate the Virtual Ports. The same may be true if you are using other applications that create their own virtual ports (i.e. loopBE loopMIDI, Bome Network Pro - Unlimited Virtual Ports).

As far as the Enigma Preset Editor, you should probably discuss this with M-Audio.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks again!

My Pleasure!