Multiple APC Mini's as Control Surfaces in Ableton Live

Is this possible? I have tried connecting two apc mini’s to my PC and they both show up as the same control surface. Looking to get them independent of each other. Thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome to the Bome Community!

The Ableton MIDI Remote Script writers would need to tell you if you can use them using their MIDI Remote Script as independent control surfaces.

If you want to use the 2nd one as a general purpose controller. You could, disable it in Ableton Live and then run it through Bome MIDI Translator Pro and then use MIDI Learn to use the controls as a generic controller using one of MT Pro’s virtual ports.

APC1 → Directly to Ableton Live using their MIDI Remote Script
APC2 → Bome MIDI Translator Pro → Bome Virtual Port → Ableton Live

If you want to write you own Ableton script you could also try remotify.io

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you for your response! So one can use multiple APC mini’s as control surfaces within Ableton Live, but now I’ve run into a weird situation…

I’m using two APC mini’s to control Ableton Live as independent control surfaces. The pads of one unit are triggering the control surface grid of the other unit and vice versa. The faders work as they should.

This crosstalk occurs on a Macbook Pro (Mojave, Ableton Live Suite 11.1) and only with one particular project. On a blank project, there is no issue. On both projects, midi settings are identical. I have tested this with a PC as well, and there is no issue.

Curious if anyone’s experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance!

Hi, it is possible that Ableton Live is opening both APCMINI devices directly insteand of going through MT Pro on one of them Macs can share MIDI ports so that is the most likely cause. In Ableton Live, make sure that you are only using a MIDI Control Script on one of them opening the port directly then using no MIDI remote script on the other one using a virtual port. When Ableton Live starts, it seems to always try to connect directly with any discovered controllers that can be controlled by scripts. Some scripts are written in Live to look at two controllers each controlling two different functions. Others just look as two controllers of the same type as mirrored devices. It depends on the script writer for the Ableton Live Script. It sounds like Ableton Live 11 is probably just mirroring the two attached controllers controlled by the same script.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz