nanoKontrol2 - setting buttons as toggle

Hello everyone,

After upgrading to my M1 Macbook and running Big Sur, I’m realizing that Korg’s Kontrol Editor isn’t compatible. My Korg nanoKontrol is a pretty big part of my live setup in Ableton and without the editor I’m unable to set the buttons to toggle mode.

So now I’m here, as it seems to be the solution for now, except I have no idea what I’m doing in Bome.

The main thing I need is to be able to set the record arm buttons on my Nanokontrol (cc#64 -71) to toggle rather than the default momentary switch.

If someone could please help me figure this out I would be super grateful!!!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please find the attached. I do it with 1 translator and a single global variable (ga) in which I map the bits 0-8.

Change-to-Toggle.bmtp (1.4 KB)

Maybe if you have a friend with an older Mac or Windows, they can help you eventually reprogram the controller. I would also check with Korg to see if they will be releasing a new editor.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you so much Steve!!!

I’ve played around with it and was able to get it to work. Only problem now is there is none of the other buttons, knobs and faders do anything. I mostly need to be able to use the faders (CC0 -CC7) and the knobs (CC16-23)

Apparently Korg is currently working on making the editor compatible with Big Sur and the M1

Hi, just draw a line in the MIDI router between the input and output and anything without a translator will pass through untouched.

You can find it on the right side if you first select the project level ; under the input and output selection.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

when I do this the buttons no longer toggle. I’m assuming in ableton I should have BMT 1 for input/output with no control surface selected? And remote on for both? And no NanoKontrol selected in Ableton?

Ah yes, any translator that says “skip outgoing action” will go through the MIDI thru route. I’ll have to look at it and add another translator. Stand by

Try this!

Change-to-Toggle-a.bmtp (1.8 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

It works!!! Thank you so much for your help

My pleasure! Yes I don’t always get everything on the first try, but I’ve been doing it long enough that I usually figure it out pretty quickly.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

I’m pretty happy that I came across Bome. Excited to start learning how to use it because it could open up a lot of possibilities :slight_smile:

If I wanted to program the rest of the buttons on the NanoKontrol to be toggle would I be able to just copy the current translators and sub in the different CC#s?

Hi, you would probably need to either use different global variables or map the other buttons to a different position in the current bitmap. They way I did it was to use one global variable to track the state of 8 buttons. A global variable has 32 bits.

Of course you could also just assign each button its only global variable and toggle each global variable with a button press.

To toggle bit one of a global variable it would be written as

gb=gb^1

Then if gb is 0 it will change to a 1 and visa versa.

Then a rules like this to send it out

qq=gb
if qq==1 then qq=127

Outgoing

CC MIDI CH 1 CC pp (assuming you captured the incoming note as pp) value qq

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care