Nektar P6 midi keyboard to macbook pro midi issue

My setup is Nektar P6 midi keyboard connected via a mio midi cable to my macbook pro running a multitrack program called Prime Multitracks.

What I want to do: Use the play, stop and forward buttons on the Nektar P6 to start, stop, forward, etc. multitracks on the Prime Multitrack app on my MacBook pro. The Prime app only receives midi notes but my P6 doesn't send midi notes for the play, stop, forward buttons since it's coming from the transport of my Nektar P6.

I need help in how to configure the midi translator pro. I've downloaded the trial software but I've got a steep learning curve and so far can't figure it out. I'm seeing midi signals on the MTP but I can't figure out how to output them to midi notes so my Prime app communicates with it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi, I\'m sure I can help. Set up MT Pro with your Nektar P6 as your input device. Open the log window in MT Pro and check MIDI IN. Then press the buttons on your Nektar to see what it is sending and post your finding (copy and paste your log input from your device here.

. Once that is done, tell me what The Prime app needs for each and I can help from there. My guess is it is sending 7 byte System Exclusive MMC messages.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Number 1&2 are for the play button on the P6 and 3&4 are for the forward button. Prime accepts default MIDI notes on MIDI Channel 1.

1: MIDI IN [mio]: B0 01 00
2: MIDI IN [mio]: B0 01 00
3: MIDI IN [mio]: B0 3C 7F
4: MIDI IN [mio]: B0 3C 00

OK try the attached. When opened the first time you will be prompted for aliases

P6 - Point this to the output of your P6 device (your MIDI DIN in if you are connecting via MIO.

Prime Multitrack - Point the to a virtual MIDI port such as Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port 1

In your application set intput to BMT 1 (which should match what you set above (Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port 1)

Then use MIDI learn. I just used note 1 and note 2 on MIDI CH 1 however you can change that to anything you wish if you don't like that

B = CC Message

0 = MIDI CH 1 (zero based)

01 = Note Number or 02-Note Number

00 or 7F is velocity (you may need to change this depending on whether you want it to trigger when you push the button (7F) or release the button (00)

The output I sent both note-on and note off 7F = on an 00 = off

90 is Note MIDI CH 1

anything larger than value of 0 is note on. and value of 0 is note off.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Attachments:
1599773150862_P6-Transport.bmtp

My problem is that I have no control over the Prime app. It doesn’t have any editing feature to change midi. I reached out to the company and they just said it accepts default midi notes on midi channel 1 and then proceeded to try to get me to buy a foot pedal they sell.

Yes, I downloaded Prime to test it too but I wasn't able to do anything. I think their program may be badly broken. At least if they get it working we know how to change CC to note so it should work once they get Prime working.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I just wanted to say thanks for all of your help with this even though we didn’t get to a solution. I really appreciate you trying to help.

OK, I’l play around with it a bit more but I suspect it is the Prim software that is the issue.

Thanks for anything you can do.

I think I figured it out.

1) Create a new IAC MIDI Port on your Mac. Call it \"Looptimus\". It is case sensitive.

2) On your BMT Project tie your MIDI output device to Looptimus.

3) Then you should be able to send button changes via your controller and the project file.

Evidently they have no way to define the MIDI controller you want so it assumes the name Looptimus. No other settings. I guess this is the way they can get you to buy their pedal.

I actually did not use a IAC port. I used Bome Network Pro Unlimited Virtual Port capabilities as I have a Beta copy of that. Bome Network Pro is a paid upgrade from Bome Network an Unlimited Virtual Ports is an upgrade option to Bome Network Pro.

Bome Network Allows you to send MIDI to and from BomeBox over a network. Bome Network Pro, extends this functionality to send to other computers (Mac or PC). Unlimited Virtual Ports extends further to have unlimited virtual MIDI ports with your own names and routing.

Good Luck!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok…I created the IAC Midi Port and called it Looptimus…not sure if I tied the project file you made for me correctly…I’m not seeing Looptimus?? And most importantly, I still can’t assign the buttons to the Prime MT App. Thanks for any help you can provide.

OK, Apparently the IAC Driver insists on calling it "My IAC Port Looptimus" instead of just "Looptimus".

The application is looking for the port "Looptimus" (without "My IAC Port") so apparently you will not be able to use IAC ports.

I suggest you download Bome Network Beta as you will be able to create your own virtual port names with that.

After downloading, you go to the Bome Network Tool and Add a port called "Looptimus".

Then you create a MIDI route from your controller in to Looptimus out and your application should be able to see it. This is how I tested it and was able to map a control. You shouldn't need MT Pro for this unless you want to translate values from your controller. In that case the Looptimus route should be from Looptimus in to Looptimus out.

So without MT Pro the route would look like this in the Bome Network Router

P6 :In -> Looptimus Out

With MT Pro you would use MT Pro to do this:

P6: In -> Looptimus In

And then in the network router

Looptimus In -> Looptimus Out

In both cases the application should see the input port of "Looptimus" so it should work.

You can download the beta copy of Bome Network here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

It won’t let me add a port without purchasing…I don’t mind at all doing that as long as I could get a refund if it doesn’t work? Thanks again for all of this troubleshooting.

Please use the contact form to request an evaluation license for Bome Network Pro Unlimited Virtual Ports so that you can test my proposed solution.

Steve

The 1st way you mentioned did not work. I guess I’m not sure how to set up the P6 in?? Mine says mio because of the midi cable I’m assuming. I haven’t tried the 2nd way because i need to know about the P6 setting first. Thanks!

Hi,

In Bome Network tool. Create Virtual Port "Looptimus"

In Bome Network tool on MIDI Router page , create a route from Source IN:mio to Destination OUT:Looptimus Virtual Out

Then anything coming in from your mio port (where your P6 is attached) will go out the Looptimus Port and should be seen by your application.

If you click on MIDI in your application and then one of the transport buttons, it should prompt you to change the learned MIDI value.

See attached snapshots (made on PC but very similar for Mac).

Again, I also did this on my Mac and it worked. The snapshots are just on my PC because that is where I am right now.

Attachments:
![](upload://AhvzvBFW4MreyRTc9MyHKgRGZjB.png)
![](upload://321WIJxOAQj8HOnaIHKzZUjf64B.png)

Wish I had good news but it didn’t work. I set it up just like you have it but nothing. If I press a key on my keyboard, it maps but not the play or forward buttons. I went into preferences on the Prime Multitrack app and tried midi cue connections with looptimus first and it didn’t work and then I tried the mio and it didn’t work either.

OK, well we know it maps, but unfortunately it appears the Prime Multitrack is not happy with it anyway.

I assume you are only sending note-on and note-off messages.

I can tell you how to use the Bome software but I cannot troubleshoot the application if it doesn't behave as expected. You really should check with them on why you are having this problem after telling them you are sending notes. Hopefully they won't try again to sell you their foot pedal.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I don’t think those messages from the play and forward are note-on and note-off. It looks like it’s saying midi CC when I go into my keyboards control edit section??

OK then you need to use Bome MIDI Translator as well.

mio -> Bome MIDI Translator -> Looptimus

Put in a translator to convert the incoming CC message to an outgoing note message

In your Bome Network MIDI Router, remove the existing route from mio in to Looptimus out

Then add a route from Looptimus in to Looptimus out

The translator would look like this

Incoming Any channel set channel to oo Any CC set CC to pp Any value set value to qq

Outgoing; MIDI channel oo, note pp, value qq

P.S. Do not use the same note number and channel of anything on the keys section of your Nektar. Maybe output to a different channel than your keys use.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care