New and confused

I am very new to midi mapping and I trying to get some guidance. I am trying to use an akai apc40 mkii with Rekordbox lighting. I have been able to map some buttons, but I am wanting to know if I can use a page button to let me use the faders for multiple devices? Regular position controls certain lights, then if I hit page > then it would control different devices? I also can’t figure out how to make the pads a certain color and flash when in use.

Sorry,

Zach

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

This tutorial should show you how you can direct MIDI from your controller to multiple applications.

For LED feedback on the APC40-MKII you could download their programmers manual on the Akaipro web site.

In a nutshell, LEDs can be given different colors by sending note-on message to a given LED. The velocity of the Note-On message controls the LED color. See this tutorial.

This tutorial is an example of controlling LED blinking on a Novation Launchpad which would be similar (but different note numbers and velocities) to an APC-40 MKII.

This Tutorial shows a technique where you can direct various MIDI messages from and to different MIDI ports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thanks Steve! This is super helpful. Do you know how I would change the midi message on a fader, based on whether or not a page or bank button is pressed? Would I use a rule to do that?

Hi,

See the attached project file.

Set the incoming aliases “My Controller” to your physical controller and the alias “Application” to the target port (application or device). Here is how I have mine set.

If your fader sends a different CC or MIDI channel, change the incoming message on translator 0.2 (Preset 0 translator 2). The translator checks the value of global variable “ga” and changes the output CC number if it is 1.

Translator 0.0 Sets ga to a value of 1 when you press a button (You may need to change that to what your controller sends when pressing the button.

Translator 0.1 sets ga to a value of zero when you release a button. Again you may need to change that to what your controller sends when releasing the button.

The rules in translator 0.2 changes the outgoing cc number if ga=1.

Button-Press-Change-outgoing CC.bmtp (1.6 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks for your help Steve. I see the rule “check is button is pressed”. I pressed the shift button, and I see it is note On on ch. 1 with note:58 (0x3A) and velocity:127 (0x7F). How do I put that into the rule?

You don’t need to change the rules, just set the incoming trigger for Translator 0.0 to be Note-On Note 58 on MIDI CH 1 any velocity (or 127) and make translator 0.1 to be Note-Off Note 48 on MIDI CH 1 any velocity.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok Steve, I have purchased the program, and I have changed your button presses to match my akai apc 40mkii. I am not seeing the midi commands in rekordbox, so I’m not sure what I am doing wrong. Does bome have to be open anytime I use rekordbox in order to translate these midi commands?

I was able to get a single fader to be recognized in rekord box but it shows up as B007 regardless of whether the button is pressed. Do you all offer zoom calls? I think this could be fixed easily if you saw what I was trying to do. My description of what is happening is not great.

Set up your output in MT Pro to Rekordbox to Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port 1.
In Rekordbox, the input should be the same (or if short name it might be called ‘BMT 1’)

Bome has to be running but doesn’t have to be showing.

Please enable logging and check the following boxes in the log window and either copy and paste the results or send me a screen shot.
MIDI IN
Incoming
MIDI OUT
Outgoing

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi, conferencing or live phone support is not included in free support, however I can as an independent contractor do this. Send me email or private message for my rates.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like