New Mac support?

I’m slowly getting closer to “release” for the patch and I couldn’t find on the forum what the state of Bomes running on Apple silicon is looking like?

I understand there is a layer of emulation inbuilt into the OS, how does it run with larger patches? And are there plans to run it natively?

Many thanks,

Tony

Hi ARC,
Bome MIDI Translator Pro is not yet available as a native Apple Silicon application, but in our tests, it runs smoothly and blazingly fast. I have not run any formal benchmarks (yet), but start-up and execution seems faster than on any Intel Mac I have worked with. All this in spite of it running in the emulation layer Rosetta 2!

Bome Network and OEM versions of MT Player are already ported to M1/Apple Silicon natively.

Best,
Florian

PS: the download section always states official OS versions and platforms:
https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator#downloads

1 Like

Hello!
Sorry to revive this old thread but I am wondering if you are still planning to release an Apple Silicon Native version of Bome MIDI Translator Pro.
I am working in a Mac Studio now and 95% of the software that I am using is Native already. Bome MIDI Translator PRO is working great as usual, but I am just afraid that Apple stops to support Rosetta 2 or that future OS releases make it less compatible.

Any news or plans about it?
Thanks!

We will always make sure that MT Pro runs on the latest macOS, and we will definitely update MT Pro to native Apple Silicon. This is not as easy as with our other software, so you will have to wait a little longer…

1 Like

Thanks Florian!
No rush at all. Nice to know that is in your plans.

Have a great weekend!

Hi there!
Any news about the Apple Silicon Native version?

I can’t close the Bome Translator Pro on the last version of macOS Ventura. I don’t know if it is related. The software is still working great under rosetta, but now it is the only piece of software non-native on my setup.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
Emilio

thanks for checking back. We do have a prototype Apple Silicon build, but it’s not yet ready for release. Probably, there will be one last intel-only version before we release a native Apple Silicon one.

Will this also pass onto the OEM player as well @Florian?

Cheers,

Tony

I’m running Ventura on my Mac and it is working fine for me.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

The MT Player and Bome Network (and some other software) are already universal native Apple Silicon.

1 Like

Thanks Florian!
I will check time to time for news about it :wink:
It’s not a big deal but annoying any time I need to restart the computer.

Hi Steve,
It’s a M1/M2 chip machine?

No, I don’t have an M1.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Just for completeness, we do have Apple Silicon machines for development and testing, and we have not encountered any problems on them. Our experience is that the version of MacOS and other installed software play a bigger role when there are issues than the processor architecture.

1 Like

We have a public beta version ready which is universal Intel64 and native Apple Silicon:
Bome MIDI Translator Pro 1.9.1 beta build 1058 – expires November 11, 2023

Unfortunately, this fix required an update of the entire underlying Java library used for the user interface. Although we have found it to be stable, there might be unexpected side effects.

Thanks everyone for trying… and please report your experiences here.

1 Like

Finally! Runs stable so far here.

Not sure what you mean by ‘Unfortunately’, as an Apple Silicon user I find it rather fortunate :wink:

I think he said unfortunately because of the work of building with a whole new library and not the result. Also, there is probably a lot of additional regression testing that will eventually be needed before this build goes into production. Subsequently, you may need to download multiple beta builds until then.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi, we’ve just released the update 1.9.1 build 1060, which is universal Intel/Apple Silicon now:

2 Likes