New user with the most basic of questions

Greetings,

I have recently acquired a BomeBox and also own a license for MT pro.

Connections:

PoE IN Fiber gateway
PoE OUT: My PC
USB > powered hub
DIN OUT > Orange Squeeze 4:1 merger > Squarp Pyramid > see hyperlink below
DIN IN < output 10 of this

As of right now, the web config reports that the “Current Project” is “Novation_Launchpad_Pong.btmp” and a red dot is racing around on my Launchpad while in “Live” mode. I have not found a way to make this stop - so my initial question is:

A. How to make Novation_Launchpad_Pong.btmp go away.

After that, question II is along the lines of, “Is my present setup capable of routing MIDI signals where they need to go?” Can I DIN OUT THRU the Pyramid and back IN via the no-name DIN merger? It’s hard to tell at the moment as I cannot play around with MIDI routes, etc. due to the Pong thing.

Thank you for reading. I’m currently at “Hello World!” with all this, so any assistance in allowing me to see things with greater clarity is greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

After launching the BomeBox main web page go to the page MIDI Translator.

Then click on “Close” for the Pong Project.

Now you are ready to begin programming MT Pro on your computer

Set up aliases for the port names you want to create while working on your computer.
That way when you move the project to your BomeBox you can assign aliases

You can use MT to route specific messages from any attached port to any other attached port. Just be careful not to create MIDI loops (where MIDI keeps looping around in a circle infinately).

I would recommend using a DIN to MIDI interface on your computer to do development. Then move to BomeBox for final testing. If you don’t have a MIDI DIN interface. You can create one on your BomeBox by routing DIN to Computer Name and Computer Name to DIN on the BomeBox and using Bome Network to pass data back and forth between your computer and the BomeBox DIN ports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hello Steve,

I’ve performed the steps you illustrate here, by closing out the project on the MIDI Translator page - however, when I click over to MIDI Routes, it still shows as, “Current Project”.

As testament to how new I am to this, the specific purpose of aliases is just now clear to me, upon reading your reply. I’m glad to have that piece of the puzzle click into place.

Your final paragraph answered my followup question as to DIN routing. The Box, I believe is well placed to act as the MIDI DIN interface and now I have the details as to how.

Moving on, can you tell me how to address my Launchpad showing up highlighted in pink on a couple of rows in the web config italicized, and listed as, “pending”?

Thank you for immediately moving me ahead in understanding some crucial elements of MT and the BomeBox. As my initial project, I intend to capture MIDI from my DIN FCB-505 swing pedal and send it as a CC to another device.

Lastly, I have a friend whose back deck has a view similar to the background of your profile pic. He’s a California transplant, whereas I am an Oregon transplant in California.

Cheers!

You might have to refresh your browser page or clear your browser cache. It should say Current Project: [no project]

If it shows as pending, something must be wrong. I suggest you test that you have the latest firmware loaded of BomeBox. The loaded firmware should show on the main Overview page of your BomeBox and should be 1.5.2. You can download it from here. Instructions are also showed there.

The way I would test with your computer is to use Remote Direct MIDI ports on your computer. Here is what I see when I have my Launchpad MK2 connected to my BomeBox and I’m viewing from my Windows computer.

First click on your BomeBox name and you will see something like the below:

Simply turn the switches on so they show green and then your devices will be available on your computer.

In my case since my BomeBox is named ‘BomeBox2’ they show up like this on my computer. This is the reason you should use aliases so that when you move your project to the BomeBox you can assign alias names instead of the physical names provided by the host:

In the above example I’m just opening the hardware ports which is probably not what you want.

Here is an example of using Aliases. Notice that I open the Alias ports and not the hardware ports.

Yes, I’m also a transplant from California (from 1989) into Oregon.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hello Steve,

That is a wealth of good information. As of now, I’m back up and running - ultimately performing a factory reset this past evening, which swept all of my issues away. Now things look and behave as they should, so I am now ready to engage in more serious trouble - thank you!

Hi Brent,

It’s good to see you have thing working now! Reach out to us if you need any more help.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hello Steve,

I certainly will, thank you.