Please help me configure my APC40 to delete clips

Hi there guys.

So I’ve been messing around with BMT and my APC40 (mk1) on Ableton and I really wanted to be able to delete clips directly from the APC40 in the most practical way possible.
I’ve already managed to bind certain pads to the ‘delete’ key and ‘crtl+z’ which have helped but I didn’t want to have to use my mouse to select the clips and then delete them.
Best case scenario I’d like to be able to press and hold the active pads which represents the clips and that would delete them but I’m not sure if that’s possible.

Does anyone have any workarounds or ideas?

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the community!

I’m not sure quite how to do this as I don’t think you can program a MIDI message to delete a given clip in Ableton Live. For launching clips, I’m pretty sure you can use MIDI learn in Ableton Live. Also the APC40 has a MIDI remote script programmed by default which it will use unless you disable it. So your way of selecting the given clip and then sending a DEL keystroke is the only way I’m really aware of. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable Ableton Live users know of a way. I’ll poke around a bit, however and let you know if I can come up with something. I’m sure you have already probably looked at the Ableton Forum as well. I think clip deletion functionality is pretty much tied to the DEL key though.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

This post might help. You would just need to set up the proper note number on your AP40 to handle the delete function.

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=236768

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you so much for a such insightful replies Steve. I’ve seen a bunch of other replies you give. You’re the king man :slightly_smiling_face:

Now when you say I need to set up the proper note number to handle the delete function, do you mean I can actually use this Launchpad script on the APC40 and need to rewrite the code on the script for this functions? I imagine I would need some basic coding abilities to do so right? :frowning:

Anyway I’ll be digging a little more on theses MIDI scripts.

Thanks again my friend!

I imagine if the Launchpad can do it with MIDI, that so could the APC-40. I’m not sure if a modified Ableton MIDI remote script would be required or whether you could just map one of your buttons on your APC-40 to the delete key in Ableton Live. That is what I would try first. According to the post, you select the clip with a controller button and then hit delete key on your computer keyboard. The only difference here is you would map a MIDI command on your controller to the an outgoing delete keystroke message.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I did a bit of checking. In the post I sent you, you need to select the clip with the mouse first. Apparently Ableton Live does not allow you to select a clip with a controller, just launch it. So the procedure you are looking for does not work and it doesn’t look like the Ableton Live API has such a function for a custom MIDI remote script. The only way I would know to do it is to remember all of the clip mouse locations and use your APC-40 to click in that location (converting MIDI from APC40 to mouse clicks) and then program another key on the APC40 to send the DEL key.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

2 Likes

I think Ableton Live does have this as part of the API but you need to program it in MIDI Remote Script which is outside of the support Bome MIDI Translator would support. Check if Remotify.io can help you if you want to program your own Ableton Live MIDI remote scripts.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Steve, thank you SO much. Seriously you’ve been more than helpful and I can’t thank you enough. I’ll be digging on Remotify.io and hopefully making some scripts for that.

Wish you all the best sir!

Yes, they may help you if you own a pro license. I doubt there is support for free license users.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care