Preset receiving MIDI activity though there is none

I have a Preset set up so when it is activated a command will be executed on MIDI activity.
If I activate the Preset manually by clicking it, no MIDI activity is present. Though if I activate the Preset via my Launch Pad, MIDI activity occurs thus executing the command automatically.

I have checked in the MIDI monitor and there is no activity yet BMTP keeps automatically executing the command. Any ideas why?.

Odd MIDI activity.bmtp (6.1 KB)

Edit: Okay got it sorted. It’s this strange thing that I get with 1.9.0 where if I activate a Preset with a Note On the activated Preset registers the Note Off information. I’m not sure the last version of BMTP did this.
So I just added a 200ms delay when activating the Preset. :slight_smile:

That kind of makes sense. It is possible that the MIDI command activating the preset is handled in parallel and is also registered as MIDI activity. Giving a delay will ensure that the command activating the preset is complete.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Can you please tell me how to stop the Note Off from executing the command?.
As in after the Preset is activated and I then press a pad on the Launch Pad the command executes twice. Like it is registering two different MIDI activities.
I have tried just using pp and or qq or oo etc. but the Note off keeps executing the command.

I suspect that when you push the button it sends a note on and when you release it it sends a not off. So in the rules of 1.3 you probably need to see if the incoming MDI is a note off for the note you just turned of and exit rules, exit outcoming action if it that note message.

So I assume 2.0 is now a note-on to trigger the preset.
1.0 incoming action should still be qq oo pp but if but exclude that note off message.

Make sense?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Sure, that makes sense. Though I am not that familiar with editing rules. I am not sure how to exclude the note off.

// check for note message (using oe will exclude both note on and note off messages
rr=qq&0xe0
if rr!=80 then skip next rule
// check note number (lets say your target note is note 54
if oo==54 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

// If you arrived here then it is note a note 54 message (on or off)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Wow! thanks for the awesome help. So it looks like I need to add every note number into the rules in order to then exclude the note off for each note.
I was kind of hoping that I could exclude all note off messages easily.

You can exclude all note off messages.

// note off is 0x80
rr=qq&0xf0
if rr==0x80 then exit rules skip outgoing action
// note off can also be 0x90 with value of 0
if rr!=0x90 then skip next rule
// must not be a note message
exit rules, execute outgoing action
// check for value 0
if pp==0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care