Press and turn knob or other double action input

Hi everyone,

Pretty new to the midi translator game here. I’m trying to get a simple dj controller (numark dj2go2 touch) to work on a software music player that our company designed. So it’s basically all done with outgoing mouse clicks and keystrokes.

What i can’t figure out is how to translate a 2 action input from the controller. Like a knob that’s pressed and turned or a jog wheel that’s is touched on the top and then turned. These are all 2 separate incoming midi messages that I want to output to 1 keystroke.

I guess i need to do this with rules but I tried with online videos and no luck. Maybe you guys can guide me in the right direction?

Kind regards
Michel

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Please find the attached. It has 3 translators.

• The first translator sets the global variable ‘ga’ to 1 when a note is pushed. I’m assuming the push action produces a note on. It has no output. See rules
  • The second translator resetst the global variable ‘ga’ to 0 when the button is released. I’m assuming on release your controller sends a note-off.
  • The third translator take a CC value on input and only sends a keystroke ‘a’ if the value of ga=1 (pushed). If it is not pushed (ga=0) it does nothing. Again see rules. Note that this is the only translator with an outgoing action.

My aliases are set up as shown here. You will need to re-assign those to fit your configuration.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

You may also need to change the incoming triggers to match your encoder.

Device selection in my project is at the project level.

For more information about device selection, see this tutorial.

Push and Turn.bmtp (1.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz